OT Blind and Autistic Pianist programme

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Band Lads Army, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Did anyone see it? It was on channel 5

It was one of the most amazing and special things you will ever see.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    one
    Autistic Pianist
    programme
    anyone
    channel 5
  3. gawber

gawber Active Member

I watched it with my husband and son. We were amazed at his talent. I shudder to think what his life would have been like if he hadn't discovered music.

For those who didn't see it, it is repeated on Thursday on Channel 5 at 11.35pm - The Musical Genius : Extraordinary People

A one off documentary profiling Derek Paravicini. He is blind and autistic and a talented pianist. Has the mental age of 4. Cannot tell his right from his left or count up to 10. But he can recall and replicate every piece of music he's ever listened to-even if he's only heard it once.

Try and watch it if you can, it's truly remarkable.

4. Morgans Bach

Morgans Bach Member

He was absolutely OUTSTANDING! Never seen anything like it in my life.

5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

No as I don't have channel 5 but my piano teacher was telling me about it today. He sounds amazing.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you can see a video snippet here.

7. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I seem to remember a whole programe on people who were unkindly called Idiot Savants. The first was Paul, the most naturally gifted draughtsman of our time; a chap who could tell you the day of the week assocaited with any day of any year (without knowing about 28 year cycles) and Noel, a pianist in the same vein as Derek. Can't remember the fourth, if there was one.

Noel was played music that was incredibly complex chordally and harmonically, and he actually picked his way through all the traps, and played to 98% accruacy, compared with a very adept sight reader who only managed 85%.

Quite amazing.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  9. BrightonHove

BrightonHove Member

Unfortunately I think you'll find this has been replaced by highlights of the Palermo v West Ham football match.