Original Names for Testpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr_Chairman, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

A current thread alludes to the fact thet Derek Borgeois originally wanted to call Blitz by another name ('Lip Transplant').

I remember that Gilbert Vinter wanted to call Triumphant Rhapsody by another name (A Matter of Seconds).

Are there any other examples where the composer has been persuaded/forced to change the original title of a piece?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Derek Borgeois
    Blitz
    Lip Transplant
    Testpieces
    Gilbert Vinter
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I read somewhere that "Life Divine" by Cyril Jenkins was going to be called "Comedy of Errors" until the powers that be intervened.
    I think I read it about 1961 in an ancient book called "The Brass Band Movement" while doing some research for a school project ~ the authors name escapes me.

- Mr Wilx

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes, I've read this somewhere too. I understood that it was changed because bands faced with the baritone/rep semiquaver runs would think it was a tad tactless!

5. Blart Brother

Blart Brother New Member

I heard that Eric Ball originally wanted to name Four Little Maids - ‘Naughty Nurses in Nighties’ but was eventually persuaded otherwise.

6. More than likely by the CORRECT composer!

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Ha! :biggrin:

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I don't think John Carr was naughty enough to have contemplated that !!

- Mr Wilx

9. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

I had my own name for it when tackling the baritone part, and it is quite unprintable!

Barry

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Makes you wonder about John Carr's relationship with his grand daughters if true ... :rolleyes:

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not quite 'on' topic, but with a few differences, isn't John Ireland's Comedy Overture, A London Overture in its orchestral version ?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Derek Borgeois
    Blitz
    Lip Transplant
    Testpieces
    Gilbert Vinter
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes it is called London Overture in its orchestral form.
    The perky quick theme is said to be based on a London bus conductor calling out "Piccadilly" when the bus reached that destination.
    Unusually, I believe he composed it for brass band first and transposed it for orchestra at a later date.

- Mr Wilx

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I heard as much too - which puts it in a rather exclusive group of pieces that have done the route from band to orchestra, rather than the other way round.

The only other two I can think of off the top of my head are Moorside suite, which I'm pretty sure Holst later re-wrote for strings, and Resurgam, which I think I'm right in saying ended up with an orchestral arrangement too, though I can't remember who by.

15. Not forgetting Ireland's 'Downland Suite' or The King's Herald from 'Pageantry' - both of which went from brass band to orchestra.