original music for symphony orchestra

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Imperial, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Imperial

Imperial Member

I know that Holst's "The Planets" features a part for a euphonium.

But what more original music for symphony orchestra is featuring a euphonium part?
    (maybe the part is sometimes named tenor tuba?)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    part
    The Planets
    euphonium part
    symphony orchestra
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition has a Tenor tuba part, it's a solo right through the 'Bydlo'

Doesn't Rite of spring have Tenor Tuba too?

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Bit of a can of worms from a nomenclature point of view.

The "Rite" does indeed have parts for "tenor tuba" but they are not euphoniums, rather so-called "Wagner-Tubas". Many of Wagner's works (obviously!) feature this instrument, as do works by Strauss (Richard) and others.

The "Bydlo", on the other hand, does not specify a Tenor Tuba in the score; it's actually in the Tuba part, however it is correct to say that the player will often elect to play the passage using a euphonium.

Other major works which utilise the euphonium "proper" include Mahler 7, and "Heldenleben" (Strauss); I'm sure there are others.

G.

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Ein Heldenleben- R.Strauss
    Sinfionetta - Janacek
    Petruska - Stravinsky
    The Pines of Rome - Resphigi
    Force of Destiny Overture - the Low Brass part is written for Cimbasso but I have played it on Euph in the past at the conductors request.

6. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

And the Euph solo in Henry Wood's Sea Songs - usually played by Andy Fawbert at the Last Night of the Proms.

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If I remember correctly, Orff's Carmina Burana has a tenor tuba part.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Don Juan (Richard Strauss) has a great tenor tuba part.

9. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

A few more pieces which either have specific euph parts or tuba parts that are often played on euph:

• Strauss - Don Quixote
    • Elgar - Cockaigne Overture
    • Shostakovich - The Bolt / The Golden Age
    • Bartok - Kossuth
    • Janacek - Capriccio / Totenhaus Suite / Violin Concerto (euph and bass trumpet players have to love Janacek!)
    • Havergal Brian - 12 of his symphonies
    • Roy Harris - 9 of his symphonies and 9 other works
    • John Rimmer - Concerto for Orchestra (I played the world premiere of this last year and the euphonium is one of the featured solo instruments)

10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Not Petrushka, so far as I can remember.
    Mahler 7 has a (B flat) Tenorhorn part, often played on euph.

11. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Cockaigne?????? :confused:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    part
    The Planets
    euphonium part
    symphony orchestra
  13. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

In the bad old days before Arnold Jacobs, John Fletcher, etc. it was common practice - at least in some parts of the world - to play the solo in Petrushka, parts of Cockaigne, the 1st part in the Rite, etc. on euph - I don't think any self respecting tubist would do it today, but the option is still there based on custom. Similarly, in the last 8 or 10 performances of Pictures I've been involved with , Bydlo has been done on F Tuba. There's an even nastier trend, in this part of the world, towards reduced orchestration performances - the performance of the Rite I did with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra last year had 110 players on stage, the one I'm doing with the Christchurch Symphony later this year is a reduction that can be done with 70, there's also a really bad reduction of the Planets that cuts out the euph, hecklephone, etc. as well. As orchestras fall on harder financial times (and as tubists get better) the euphonium is becoming an endangered orchestra species. By the way, I heard Music of the Spheres for the first time yesterday and I absolutely love it!

14. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Related to this subject, I know that Berlioz, (founder of the 19th Century symphony orchestra?) included two cornets (as well as two trumpets) in the line up. Of course, in the British Symphony Orchestra you would see four trumpets!!!

15. Robb

Robb New Member

Erroneous Euphonium Parts...

Just to clear a some things up...

I'm certain Stravinsky's 'Petrushka' does NOT have a euphonium part. Likewise Elgar's 'Cockaigne' and Orff's 'Carmina Burana'. Strauss did write euph in 'Don Quixote' but NOT 'Don Juan'. As rightly posted, Mahler 7 features an enormous Euph solo to kick the whole thing off. And 'Bydlo' in 'Pictures' is almost always done on Euph by a trombone player, but occasionally tuba players talk conductors (and themsleves?) into doing it. 'Rite' has a bass trumpet part, Janacek 'Sinfonietta' has both Euph and Bass trumpet parts. And I'm about to play a piece by Mark Anthony Turnage which is a trombone part doubling (tripling?) bass trombone and Euph, so you can add that to the list when I find out its name.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(Sulks!) Yes, you're right! It was Don Quixote and not Don Juan Richard Strauss wrote a part for tenor tuba :-( . Didn't realise my slip until I viewed the thread later on. Major oops! on my part!

17. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

There is a prominent bass trumpet part in "Rite". Its an extention of the 4th C trumpet part. Never done on euph.

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Not true.
    There is a growing trend towards using cornets for cornet parts and trumpets for the trumpet parts. Many of the UK orchestras are at the forefront of this trend and have been doing so for many years.
    Check out the Last Night of the Proms - cornets are used for the cornet parts in Pomp & Circumstance and have been for as long as I remember.
    I have discussed this with many players (from across the world and ranging from amateur to absolute top professional) and they all have cornets available for just such pieces. They are part of our standard arsenal of weapons.
    Trumpet players are quite happy to use cornets when the parts are marked as such.

There are even the "historical performance" groups who will be using cornets and trumpets of the appropriate period, so that the sound is closer to what Berlioz (and others) would have expected to hear. Somehow I can't see many bands giving up their Sovereigns to try something similar.

19. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I agree that more orchestral trumpet sections are using cornets were written - in the last few months we've done a couple of Berlioz overtures and we played a season of Carmen. In every case, out came the cornets. A few years ago there would have been some pretty suspect cornet sounds but the players (most of whom have no brass band background) are getting better at making a cornet sound like a cornet.

Since I'm already well off the topic of this thread (sorry!), are British trumpet sections still making heavy use of Bb trumpets or are C Trumpets becoming more popular? I've probably shown how heinously out of touch I am with the UK scene by even asking that question.

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm sure it often is; interestingly, the last time I played "Pictures", however (long time ago) the Tuba player (Wayne Farrah (?)) picked up a Euph to play "Bydlo".

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I've not often seen any of the London Orchestras do this. Although I recall in the late '70's/early 80's (when I used to go to concerts in London much more frequently than I do now ) It was more common to see the cornet parts played on Long-Model Bach cornets than on traditional british "Shepherds Crook" models.

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member