Original Headlines...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Aug 17, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a musical item written up in the local paper, and the headline has had the phrase "so and so really hit the high notes" in it. Can anyone (please!) suggest more original headlines to go with musical items? It must be possible.
  2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Go ahead and suggest. We're all waiting with baited breath!

Really, if this is all you have to worry about, I envy you! :eek:
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The worst one is when they say say the performance "reached a crescendo . . ." as if that is the climax :mad:
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  4. Jay

Jay Member

Lol I always see "hit the right notes" lol! "Swindon young musicians hit the right notes with judges" "Pianist hitting the right notes with regulars at local pub " "Children hit the right notes with exam results" it never changes lol!!! :p And they think they're so funny ^_^
  5. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

What about
    'such and such is blowing their own trumpet'

That one always annoys me intensely!!
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Another cliche for the list "so and so are Brassed Off with..."
  7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Isn't it?
  8. Jasper

Jasper Member

''Band Tolled Off''

The following headline appeared in (of all publications - The Sun!!!) back in the the early 80's -I think - when (some!) of our band decided it would be fun to dis-appropriate the cross channel ferry we were travelling on our way back from a weekend in France of its Ships Bell. Yes - a couple of cornet players shinned it up the flag pole and removed the ships bell from under the nose of the cap'n on the bridge!! Of course the bell was promptly returned after joyous celebration and much ringing in the coach on the way home and the perpetrators knuckles firmly rapped. Ah....the joys of youth!!!:oops:

9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

When you reach a crescendo, you begin to increase volume. When you reach the climax, the crescendo is over.

My candidate" "Marching to the beat of their own drum" or "a different drummer".
  10. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Perhaps there would be too many objections if the headline read 'band reaches ......'
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

There must be a squillion tabloid newspaper headlines about Manchester Uniteds most talented ugly little thug that start by replacing the word "you" with "Roo"

Roo little beauty

Roo have to be joking

etc...there's no telling when they'll bore of using that little gem.
  12. BrianT

BrianT Member

It's not just musical items. Guess what the news story was in my local paper that started off by talking about "reaching for the sky" and "high flying".
    BrianT (who really does blow the trumpet that he owns and hits high notes on it sometimes)
  13. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

The best headlines I have ever seen were both football ones. Alas, I won't be popular with a certain Glaswegian club for these, but there we are.

They lost to a Swiss side - "Basel Brush Past Celtic"

But the best ever was when Inverness Caledonian Thistle upset the odds by beating the very same team - "Super Cally Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious".

Laugh? I nearly keeled over!
  14. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Only loosely connected to music, it concerned a missing woman who had been visiting a local night club (The Planet Earth in Hull). The headline....... The woman was last seen leaving Planet Earth.

A classic.
  15. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I know it's awful to laugh at things like that but someetimes you can't help it!
  16. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I must admit, that is my favourite sport headline :clap: