Original brass band music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Richard N., Sep 1, 2012.

1. Richard N.

Richard N. New Member

Hi,

Just wondering how different bands approach adding truly original brass band music (NOT arrangements of music originally intended for other ensembles) to their library/repertoire.

How does your band feel about playing original music and including it in concerts?

How often does your band buy original music (ignoring prescribed contest pieces).

How often do you commission new compositions for your band?

Richard.

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

At our two recent concerts in Jersey Wingates' programme included:

Mr Sonnemans' Unusual Solution - Lucy Pankhurst (World Premiere, commissioned by a committee member)
    In Pitch Black - Lucy Pankhurst (commissioned by the band in 2010)
    Extreme Makeover - Johann de Meij (just the second half, from the bottle blowing bit)
    Harlequin - Philip Sparke
    Kongelela - Jan Magne Forde
    Meditation - Paul McGhee

And all of these were largely well received by the audience.

It's our intention to include as much of this kind of music as we can in concerts, and seek feedback from the audience (by giving them all a card to fill in). Obviously if we're booked for a "Brassed Off" or Proms kind of gig, we'll play what the promoter requests, but at concerts where we're given a free hand we're trying to steer away from filling programmes with cheesy arrangements. Given that we have a composer in residence, I'd guess we commission something new every 12-18 months, depending on the opportunity to play it. Next year we have a 140th anniversary, which is obviously a great opportunity to commission some new music, and work has already started on finding the finance for that.

3. its_jon

its_jon Member

Excellent ! :clap::clap::clap:

4. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I guess we buy about 5-7 new pieces each year, of which the vast majority are original brass band compositions. I don't really like using too many arrangments ideally, so always try to hunt down new pieces either by listening to concerts, youtube, cd's or simply buying pieces "blind" by interesting composers.

Recently, we've played probably more original music this year - our concert pads currently indlude the diverse (and slightly bizarre) mix of:-

The Dreaded Groove and Hook (Simon Dobson)
    Japanese Slumber Song (Gareth Wood)
    Resurgam (Eric Ball)
    Penlee (Simon Dobson)
    Lament from "Macbeth" (Pete Meechan)
    March - Deep Harmony (Martin Pearce)
    On a Mission from God (Phil Doe)
    Danmark nu Blunder den Lyse Nat (Jesper Riis)
    Lock Horns, Rage On (Simon Dobson)
    Rhapsody for Trombone (Gordon Langford)
    Akatonbo (Hiroshi Yamagishi)

The players on the whole definately prefer playing original works over arrangements, which is why we probably do more music specifically written for band than arrangements. Certainly, I've used more arrangments at other bands I have conducted in the past.

We haven't commissioned any pieces specifically, but Martin Pearce and Phil Doe both play in the band and have written pieces we perform. Also, we are working with composer Raymond Yiu to write a large work for next year.

I really think bands should commission more new music - I really like the idea of attracting composers from outside the brass band world to write for band, but when you consider that a commission will cost around the £7-10k mark, it's tricky to source funding!

5. Richard N.

Richard N. New Member

Andrew/Alan,

Encouraging answers.

It's good to hear that original compositions are being supported.

I agree that cost is an issue when considering commisioning a new piece - understandable when taking into account the man-hours required to create a new piece, but it still painful on the band fund.

Richard.

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

*cough* I I I I I I I (attempts to create a series of arrows to point to the link in his signature...)
    ............\/\/\/\/\/\/

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

:icon_arrowd::icon_arrowu:

Admitteldy they are Xmas ones Bruv, but seek and thee shall find :tongue:

8. nethers

nethers Active Member

We do our best also at Dalewool to fill up on original music but it is difficult to keep up with new music from down here. A few good ideas from other posters in this thread, thanks!

9. its_jon

its_jon Member

LOL .... yes, watch out for that sort of thing :D

[​IMG]

10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I've just been listening to this work on Soundcloud, and it's another fine and original work by a young composer who deserves all the exposure she can get. Time for a commercial CD of her music, methinks????

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Richard
    Original brass band music Hi
    playing original music
    arrangements of music
    different bands approach
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It is indeed. Funny you should mention that. Watch this space next year...

13. James Yelland

Aha! Fantastic!

14. Ali

Ali Member

We always seem to have a Peter Meechan and Andy Scott piece on all of our programs.

15. James Yelland

Very good to hear. I have your World Within CD and it's fine stuff. Any chance that Spirit of Mingus might get recorded some time? It's a knockout piece.

Also have just taken delivery of your latest recording, and am most impressed with the Maurice Hamers piece which is a new one on me. More power to your collective elbow!

16. Ali

Ali Member

Thanks James!!! Power of the Soul is quality. It needs another public airing. I really enjoyed doing the Masquerade CD and having heard it, makes it all worthwhile. As for Spirit of Mingus, there is talk of a new Andy Scott CD to be done as some stage but I don’t actually know what will be on it. Hopefully, "SoM" will make it on there. Watch this space!!!!! In the meantime, you can enjoy Mingus on our website as there was a live video recording from the RNCM Festival of Brass. Visit www.fodensband.co.uk to enjoy it!!!