Organised pads

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, May 20, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Is it just the case in the 2 bands I know, or in all bands that bass players have the most organised pads? We never seem to lose music like other sections do and always get the music on the stand and then wait ages while the cornets look through there 50 different folders for their 1 remaining copy of floral dance. Most bass players I know seem to take a positive pride in how organised their pad is. After 1 rehearsal at Dronfield our new Bflat player had re-indexed his pad into a form that he reckoned made it quicker to get music from pad to stand! Normally I am 1 of the worlds most disorganised people but even I never lose music and have it alphabatised (could be due to the hardly ever taking it out to practice!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    Organised pads
    bass players
    new Bflat player
    different folders
  3. persins

persins Member

Most bass players I know are completely the opposite!! Our section have trouble finding their instrument let alone the music!!

4. groovy

groovy Active Member

Strangely enough in our band the basses probably have the least organised folders! They never seem to have the music and spend ages looking for parts. In fact when the comittee sorted all the pads last year and alphabetasised them, they found at least one percussion part in the bass folders. They had never noticed! The most organised are probably the horns and the bass trombone:)biggrin:).

5. eflatbassman

eflatbassman New Member

Pythagoras

(could be due to the hardly ever taking it out to practice!)

No,... its just that bands are built on the stability, .. nay the foundation of the bass section, ... we carry the weight of the whole band, ... we are naturally organised ...... cough !,... excuse me, .. where was i ?... Oh yes, did i mention dependable? ... oh well, ... please yourselves !

eflatbassman

6. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

The horn section are (and always have been) the least organised section in our band!!

The back row cornets aren't much better...(of course, this wasn't the case when I was back there! :) )

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well my mate who is on 1st baritone is one of the worst offenders,his pad is all over the place:biggrin:

8. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

We don't get the disorganisation problem as we're only usually allowed one piece out at a time! (Apart from when it's concert time when everything comes out.)

I think the basses make a point of being disorganised as most of their music seems to be all over the bandroom floor most of the time! Yet they still wonder why they can never find anything...

I've tried to alphabetise my music with the different groups I play for - good for getting it out in the first place, although it means you take longer putting it away at the end and waste valuable pub time. I quickly stopped that little system :guiness

9. keith hemming

keith hemming New Member

In our band the biggest problem area is the Basses and dare I say it Percussion ! and why is it deps hand the pads back with all what has been used at the front and muggins ( the libarian ) here has to sort it all out, also has anyone ever thought of having somewhere you could go to to replace lost music rather than going round local or friends bands saying have you got this one or that ?

10. eflatbassman

eflatbassman New Member

(In our band the biggest problem area is the Basses and dare I say it Percussion !)

Percussion ? Percussion ? Percussion ? ... do you mean "the drummer ?

Are you telling me, that you have a Drummer ! ... THAT CAN READ MUSIC ????

eflatbassman

11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

In our band, there seens to be soprano music all over the place for some reason... :confused: dont understand that at all :confused: that, front row and basses are the worst offenders. We even had an EEb bass player playing BBb music without noticing at one rehearsal! :rolleyes:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music
    Organised pads
    bass players
    new Bflat player
    different folders
  13. keith hemming

keith hemming New Member

Well no we do not have a drummer that can read music, they belong to other bands, if there is anyone out there that would like to do percussion then Stourport ( 1st sec 2006) has seats available.

all our jobs in that section are done on deps somtimes we just have a kit player othertime our baritone player will switch between the two depending on the item being played.

We have one piece that goes up to percussion 7 I laughed till i cried 7, 1 would be good !!

14. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Our worst offenders are the basses! :frown: They are nearly ALWAYS the lasts ones to have the music on the stand, that's if they manage to find it. Its always a case of "we've only got 1 copy" "there isn't 1 in my pad" & then on closer inspection, it transpires that there were 2 parts in 1 pad! My pad is pretty organised. Percussion is also a nightmare.:redface: They have 3 pads, kit, timps & tuned. All the music does tend to end up in the kit pad. Must be difficult though when some of pieces have kit & tuned on one part though. I have subject dividers with, for eg, A-B C-D etc. My music isn't in perfect alphabetical order, but it means I only have 3 or 4 pieces to hunt through. Anything for an easy life! :tongue:

15. six pints

six pints Active Member

our front row cornets are by far the worst except for me. Im only there half the time, so mine just all gets left on my stand, and then someone will say thats meant to be in the red folder with a number by now, but i wasnt there and my red folders black just to confuse me even more, so i have a black black folder and a red black folder, and then for some reason, i have some numbered that noone else seems to.... confusing!

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In your bass player's defence, he was probably wondering why the b'stard librarian had given him a different arrangement than the rest of the band and was just about to transpose it at sight when everyone else stopped playing. This has happened to me!

In my band the basses are the most organised group. That is, they have the biggest number of completely different systems on the go at the same time.

Judith, being a policeman is totally alphabetical and by the numbers, I work on a strict LIFO stack and the BBbs have systems of their own which border on the vaguely obscene (at least there is lots of muttering and effing and jeffing going on as each new piece is announced.) Andrew, poor man, just thinks they are discussing the relative merits of alternative fingering, (is it 1st, 2nd or 1st and 2nd together?) but he is a bit of an innocent abroad ;)

James Parkinson, now of Sellers, used to be the worst offender. Most of the band's missing music was found under his bed after Auntie Pam went in in an enviro-suit on a rescue mission. The worrying thing is that Sellers are letting him into their library :eek:

I think it's currently the bottom two on the front row and most of the back row. Definitely the cornets take longer to find stuff than anyone else, and they are constantly passing pads back and forth amongst themselves.

17. Tigaraaah

Tigaraaah New Member

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Have to agree here with Pythagoras - the best organised music is the basses - knowing my views on the organising of music they would not wish to receive my wrath should they not find a piece.

Simple reason why basses should be the most organised and that's that we have less time than the rest of the band to find our music - place bass down pick up pad - find piece put on stand - pick bass up - realise music upside down - put bass down - turn music round - pick up instrument - now ready to play.;)

The WORST offender at our band are the baritones - one's dyslexic and the others a teacher - last night's example - a piece of music is handed out that has not been played for 18 months at the begining of the rehearsal - baritone player turns up late and when we get to this piece in the rehearsal she spends 2 minutes looking through her pad. "looking through" of course means going through every single piece in the pad because it's not in any kind of order.

Question is, why would you think it would be in the pad when we've not played it for nearly 18 months - the part however, was on the chair next to the euphonium player.:mad:

19. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

basses and percussion are definitly the LEAST organised in our band....by far!

20. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Percussion and Back Row are guilty are in training but overwhelmingly the SOLO HORN is the master by a mile.

Started 2005 by losing the whole pad at a concert, despite every effort never found

Disaster

21. madrich

madrich Member

I pride myself in being the absolute worst at pad organisation. We have nice pads with different spaces for all the different letters, and you can absolutely guarantee that in my pad the piece will be anywhere other than in its correct slot. About once every six months I go a little mental and spread all the music over my lounge and put them back in the correct place - unfortunately to no avail - for example should "Variations on Laudate Dominum" be under V or L?

22. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

This is a complicated one. I have it filed under V but sometimes I look under L 1st as our MD will call it Laudate. So sometimes you need to file things under how your MD calls them. :confused: