Organ and Brass Band pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Jan 6, 2009.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Any suggestions for pieces?

All I can think of is Lost Chord and Saent-Saen Organ Symphony No.3

Answers on a postcard.... or just reply to this!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band
    Saent-Saen Organ Symphony No.3
    Lost Chord
    Brass Band pieces
    Saent-Saen Organ Symphony
  3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Crown Imperial was often used at the massed band concert at the Albert hall in years gone by

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you fancy something rather more ambitious, there's always Arthur Wills' suite "The Fenlands".

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Philip Wilby also arranged a few pieces for Black Dyke's album Cathedral Brass.

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

there is an interesting piece on Eikanger Bjorsvik's CD "Tales and Stories"

8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Am I right in thinking that Boellman's Suite Gothique is in the same key for organ and band? Or am I about to be shot down...?

'Twould be fun working out who's doing what, though... ;)

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

1812 can be done with organ. Or you could go mad and do Dove Descending, which I think has got an optional organ part.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Nope, the organ original is in C minor, while the band version is in Bb minor - the Bb parts in the band are in C minor.

The same is true of Philip Sparke's arrangement of the Widor Toccata - it's scored a tone down so that the Bb instruments see the same key signature as the original.

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Is there an arrangement of Tocatta and fugue in D minor in brass band E-minor? (Other than the rocktastic Ray Farr/Sky arrangement.)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band
    Saent-Saen Organ Symphony No.3
    Lost Chord
    Brass Band pieces
    Saent-Saen Organ Symphony
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There is somewhere....at least I think it's in E-minor.

I've got a recording from the late 70s RAH gala concert of Brighouse (?) playing one.

IIRC it wasn't, er, very good.

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Langford's Hymn Tune Medley (Jerusalem the Golden, The Old Hundredth and Aberystwyth).....you can download it from Chandos with Besses & Newsome at the Organ here

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Re: Toccata & Fugue in original form:

Not sure how well carving that up with an organist would work, really...

At the Kidlington Xmas concert a few years back we joined forces with an organist, who played the whole of the toccata up to the last chord before the fugue section - at which point we joined in, crescendoing out of his final chord into the post-intro section (the first double-tonguing bit) of the Farr arrangement. It was quite effective. In the same concert we also carved up the Widor Toccata with the organist transposing into Eb from F (not entirely smoothly, it must be said - the fingerings become a bit of a nightmare, and the mental processing required is a bit much for such a continuous stream of semiquavers; I sat in for the organist at the afternoon rehearsal, and can vouch that it made my brain squeak too...).

16. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Ray Steadman-Allen's Chorales and Tangents (a set of variations on the hymn tune Moscow, if I remember correctly) is an original work in which organ and band have roughly equal parts to play. I doubt that it is published though.

There is also Edward Gregson's The Trumpets of the Angels, although it is a very substantial and difficult work which also requires trumpet soloists of a high standard. The average brass band audience might struggle a bit with the musical language as well!

Finally there is Bob Childs arrangement of Elgar's Organ Sonata in G, op. 28, but as it was arranged entirely for band it would have to be a rather artificial amalgam of organ and brass - and even then assuming, as above, that the arrangement retained the original key.

That's all I can think of. Sorry!

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

We once did Procession to the Minster (the Himes one) with organ in a church in Wigan, the organist being our Stuart - busking as usual! Sounded very effective, although he said he had every single stop out to full - it was pretty loud with both organ and band!
    Gives the basses a big lift as much as anything else.
    If you can find a church with a modern electronic organ that has a magic "transpose" button it makes things a fair bit easier, especially if you're trying something as complicated as Widor's Toccata.

18. nethers

nethers Active Member

We used to do Suite Gothique with an organ in the Huddersfield University Band - we played off good old yellow originals, so I'm sure someone must have transposed the organ part to fit.

If you are on good terms with Phillip McCann, you could ask him about it. The organist was Simon Lyndley I think.

19. barrytone

barrytone Member

Finlandia, works a treat!

20. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The Black Dyke Hymn Book (arr. Philip Wilby) has an Organ part included

21. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Canterbury Chorale is a good one. Works for bb and organ, or seperately.

22. TSGrimes

TSGrimes New Member

Jesu Joy of Mans, Desiring Trumpet Voluntary North Music Holland

or Mob 07882367902 if you want to look first.