Orchestral Trombone help please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ipswich trom, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I have been asked to play 2nd Trom for Elgar's Dream of Gerontius and am wondering if my Conn 8H will be adequate for the job! I am questioning it as my previous experience in playing "The Musicmakers" would suggest that I am going to need a Bb/F. Haven't got the music yet so can't check and the job is very soon so I need to act quickly.

Thanks for any help!
  2. chall89

chall89 New Member

i would imagine that'd be fine. The 2nd trombone at the halle uses a straight Bb so you won't have a problem i'm sure.
  3. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Just a point but you will find that andy, roz and adrian may use two or three different instruments, depending on what the piece requires-get the part!
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You're fine with an 8H. Best of luck!
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I know this is not quite what you are getting at - but you could try to persuade the section to use peashooters (and a G! Or at least something small on bass), as the original players would have used these tiny instruments. An 8H is a pretty large bore instrument to be playing Elgar on. It's much more fun to play Elgar on instruments that have a bit of tonal sparkle at lower dynamics than the instruments we tend to play these days.

I haven't played 'The Music Makers' yet, but I'm surprised that it requires trigger notes. All the Elgar I've ever played has been written very carefully indeed when it comes to only using the straight instrument. 'Cockaigne' contains good examples of him skirting around the fringes of the register.