Orchestra or Brass Band

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by James McFadyen, Jan 24, 2004.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

What sound do you like best; Orchestra or Brass Band

As a composer, I studied classical orchestration for Symphony Orchestra and am totally in love with the symphonic colours, just wondered what the rest of you thought.

Personally I love big soundscapes and symphonic sounds and that is why my preference for the Orchestral sound dominates (if only a little) the Brass Band sound. I guess your preference will come from your own background and upbringing and most probably education.

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Mmmm, for me both... both have their differences etc...

BUT, if I had to choose, it'll have to be orchestra due to the hundreds of different colours, textures and sounds that can be produced... Brass Bands don't have the same effect...

:)

3. Moy

Moy Active Member

I like beef and I like chicken...same with orchestras and bands.
    Depends on how it's served to me and the mood I am in.

4. James McFadyen

I'll add some gravy to it then Moira!
    :wink:

5. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

i agree with moy. depends on my mood and what i feel like listening to!! :D

Carolyn

6. Moy

Moy Active Member

and roast potatoes and veggies but that I thought you take for granted. :wink:

7. James McFadyen

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol:
    that sped off topic quickly!

Must be an award for the fastest topic to go off topic! :lol:

:p

9. James McFadyen

Yea, I think soon as you talk about food, it all starts snowballing from there!

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band
    orchestration
    soundscapes
    sounds
    Orchestra
  12. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Hee-Hee.

Back on topic - Has to be orchestra for me.

There is just nothing quite like the sound of a Mahlerian size orchestra giving their all at the end of Symphony 2 or 3.

Admittedly there are some band sounds that stir my emotions but, with the limited tonal variety available to a band, not as deeply as an orchestra can.

I was brought up in orchestras but have been in banding for 27 years now and probably listen to orchestras twice as much as I do brass bands.

13. James McFadyen

Quite agree Matt, I think the tonal variations of the orchestra are very wide, not a synth in sight could compare to the colours of a symphony orchestra! And I'm a synth nut! :wink:

14. shedophone

shedophone Member

Depends what they're playing. i know some orchestral pieces, particularly overtures that work better for band than orchestra. But a good orchestral sound is hard to beat. Mahler 6. Beethoven 9, Rach 3 (symphony), the planets...... the list goes on and on...

15. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

while I think there are some gorgeous orchestral moments, I would refuse to attend a rehearsal only to practise counting out my 287 bars rest...........stupid orchestral tuba parts :evil:

16. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Slightly confused here! :?

If you prefer the sound of an Orchestra, why do you play in a brass band?

:wink:

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To keep the lip in?

18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I'm (also) a percussionist and the percussion parts being written these days in brass band pieces are great (mostly :wink: :wink:).

Anyway, I prefer the sound of an orchestra but that doesn't mean to say I dislike the sound of a brass band.

8)

19. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I don't prefer orchestra. I like orchestras, however. Brass bands I find have a lot more fun!!

20. James McFadyen

I first started composing by writing for Orchestra. I was introduced to the brass band and after I left for a few year and went back to play Soprano, I started getting into writing for Brass Band. Plus I'm not into playing in an Orchestra.

I love the Brass Band sound, it is very unqiue, but If I'm faced with listening to a Brass Band CD or an Orchestral CD, I will usually listen to the Orchestral CD. Although tends to be more modern tonal works, especially by Vince Mendoza - an Orchestral composer with fantastic passion in his music. He is quite known for his work with Joni Mitchell.

21. skweeky

skweeky Member

if you like an orchestral sound but play in a rass band its generally because brass banding can be seen as a hobby, whereas i would suspect orchestral "work" is as it is said- work! Orchestral players are normally pro's at playing music, but in the brass band world- if ye can blow, ye cn play we us! and all the time enjoying it!!!!! :lol:

(i speak for myself here. anyone that disagree with this may be in a different situation, or otherwise educated :wink: )

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band
    orchestration
    soundscapes
    sounds
    Orchestra