Orange Juice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidwalton, Aug 9, 2004.

1. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

I was under the impression that the Orange Juice arrangement used in the film Brassed Off, was going to be published legitimately.

Is this still the case? Anyone know when?

Makes an excellent solo item, and would be nice to be allowed to play it in public.

Thanks.

2. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I love this piece, but I'm not getting my hopes up, but if you are right and it is being legitimately published, it's great news!

3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

loads of people have played it , there are a few threads on here about this subject.
    why dont conductors , bands and soloists think of something else to play...

4. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

Perhaps you are not aware, but this solo is NOT allowed to be played in public. To my knowledge, only the Film and CD of that are allowed. All other performances of the film version are not, without special permission.

Most have it, because it is a great solo, but not many bands will risk the penalty if found performing it.

Perhaps you don't like it, but many do, and it WOULD go down well in concert. First, there needs to be a legit published version before killing it off by saying it is over played.

As a Flugel player, I have a number of solos worked up. However, I am not allowed to play this. Are saying I shouldn't? or that it isn't worthy of being a solo item?

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes I am aware , and It doesnt stop bands playing it still..
    yes it's an effective arrangement but it's a bit tired and cliched now...
    I am sure there are more interesting and varied solos for flugel horn soloists to play...dont you want to be different and play something else?

6. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

I currently have a selection of around 8 to 10 Flugel solos that are used. I want this one as well.

Just because everyone else plays it, doesn't make it any less of a piece, and I think most in our Band definately think I am different enough already.

7. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

I agree, its been played by just about everyone. Maybe its time to forget the hits of the past and try some new stuff?

8. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I love the piece, but I've listened to four different bands in the last two weeks, and only one of them didn't play it!!

9. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi,

I am always up for something new. Suggestions?

I STILL want Orange Juice though. Others may have played it, but I haven't had a chance with it.

While you may think it daft to want to play it. I like it. It has a place in a pad, and should come out every now and then.

10. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I'm not really understanding all of the opposition towards letting this guy play what is a lovely piece of music, and an excellent solo.

Simply because something has been played a lot, doesn't make it any less of a piece. Remember that there are different audiences every time you take the stage, and something like Aranjuez certainly moves the audience in a way that other solos don't.

As to other solos, I bought Mark freehs arrangement of April in Paris for Newland's flugel player, it's a bit "black" on the solo part, but sounds fantastic in the right hands.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    player
    piece
    slant
    people
    no one
  12. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Hi Mark,

Already have Mark freehs arrangement of April in Paris, and is in the pad :))

13. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

there is nothing wrong with him playing it, just why not try something new and original, and leave the "brassed off" image which so many people complain of here behind.

i did a quick search for flugal solos and this is what i came up with. i dont know how many of them you have seen or even how original they are.

AFTER MIDNIGHT
    BENEATH the WILLOWS
    BLACK VELVET
    CON TI PARTIRO
    DAWN MIST
    FEELING MELLOW
    FLOWER SONG
    LADY IN RED

edit: there are amny more, i jist got bored typing them in, and damm the caps lock!!

14. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Only have Lady in red from that list, but the others are just titles. How good are they?

I also have in the current pad:

So Glad
    The Folks Who Live On the Hill
    How Great Thou Art
    You Needed Me
    Laura
    and a piece by Ben Tubb (Band member)
    The End of the Day.

I get solos based on recommendation, rather than by title.

Nobody is going to get me away from Orange Juice though. It is a modern day classic, and as long as a legit version comes out, I will have it.

15. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

of the ones i listed i have only heard con ti partiro, and i personally think it is the most amazing piece of music in the word! im not sure about the others i found them by searching for flugal solos, so havent heard or seen them.

but yes, orange juice is a great piece of music its just time to find something more original!

16. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

It isn't even published, and you are saying I should forget it. No chance.

I do play other solos, and will continue to do so. However, I want Orange Juice. I think I have made that very clear. New stuff yes, but I want this as well.

No doubt, there is someone who would say not to play con ti partiro because they think that has been over done. Probably find that most good solos have been done by a large number, and continue to be played because they are good. With this type of thinking, I should only get solos that are fresh out, except Orange Juice, as it would of been done before.

Orginality is not that possible unless I get someone to compose a solo just for me.

17. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

i think this jsut about sums it up. how many bands have you heard play other flugal solos? there are other solos around. you dont have to get something composed for you (although i believe you did!) to be original just search around and you will find a solo you will like more, and audiences will enjoy listening too.

also think of it a different way, do you get fed up of listening to bands playing the floral dance?

18. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

I get fed up playing it, and other stuff, but they still have to be played. It is expected in some places.

If you play original stuff that nobody recognises, it will not go down very well, especially on Bandstand type summer jobs.

You can not get away from doing stuff people know and expect to hear.

There is no argument for me not to play Orange Juice other than it has already been done. That argument holds for lots of pieces. You will need to come up with a more original argument for me to change my mind as to what I want to play.

The solo Ben wrote was not specifically for me to play. I do also have a selection of solos. Orange Juice is still required though, and would be played. However, so would the others.

19. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Hi David,

Take a look at www.darrolbarry.co.uk , it has just been updated to include all of the solo's and a new one will be added shortly :wink:

20. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I agree with Nick that too many people are unoriginal in their solo selection and it becomes tedious listening to the same old stuff.

However one can't ignore the fact that your usual audiences won't enjoy a newly comissioned solo, which may be a ground breaking original piece of work, as much as they'd enjoy something they know.

21. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

All this just because I want to ADD to the selection of solo's I have.

Does every one have to be original. I think not.

With any concert there has to be a mix. What is wrong with using Orange Juice in that mix?

Hi Darrol,

Thanks for the link. I already have a few of your arrangements :) Look forward to seeing anything new you do.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    player
    piece
    slant
    people
    no one