Operatunity?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I've just noticed this week's no 60 in the UK Albums Chart, Denise Leigh and Jane Gilchrist - Operatunity Winners. Forgive my ignorance if I've missed it but has there been an opera equivalent of Pop Idol on the telly or radio lately? Please, no.......... It's bad enough with Russell Watson.... I'm not a great opera fan but I hope it isn't going to be b*stardized like that. What next? Brass Idol? Can you imagine it? Anyone who can play a few bars of a championship section test piece on their own (preferably on a brass instrument, but kazoos, stylophones and spoons considered) gets invited to the grand final to play with a top band, only to get thoroughly shown up when they realise they can't play that section of the piece with the rest of the band!

Well, it'd be more entertaining than Pop Idol.....

2. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Operatunity" was a Channel 4 production. I didn't actually see much of the series itself, but I did catch part of a follow-up on Radio 3 the other week. The two finalists they interviewed (possibly the ones who have recorded the cd) had, if I heard correctly, both received formal training, but for some reason or other had not then pursued singing as a career. I believe one of them spoke of how her size had told against her when auditioning, even though her voice had been quite acceptable.

Whilst I would share your fears about "dumming down", I think this was rather different, and a class above the superficially similar pop programmes.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm glad to hear it, Peter, but at the same time, I think of those who go through the 'normal' challenge of training from an early age, college, and ultimately probable rejection when compared to 'wannabees' who even if they have received some form of 'formal' training, may not have had to fork out thousands in tuition fees over the years, but can hit some form of stardom by being on a TV programme. I accept that my views are (still) based on guesswork having not seen the programme, however! :)

Regards

5. SammyT

SammyT Member

Yeah it was a prog on channel 4 a while ago now and it was actually really good. I personally don't like opera or pop idol type things (we left the tely on 4 after the program we were watching ended and got hooked!!!) but it was great!
    Similar idea to pop idol (i think!) but much better

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I watched the first programme. Never watched another. Make of that what you will!

7. rachael

rachael Member

Jane Ghilchrist,one of the above mentioned finalists,is from my home town and was a mum and checkout girl in Tesco's! She didnt persue her singing career as she met her husband ,they settled down and had kids etc etc. She was quite well known locally,singing with the local G&S,and various other guest appearances.
    Unfortunately I never got to watch any of the programme on Channel 4...but all I can say is.......good luck to you Jane........u deserve it!
    And i'm sure if their was a "brass Idol" ...tMP'ers would put on a gr8 show! :lol:

8. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

I think Simon Cowell would make a good adjudicator actually, although he's got a long way to go to hit the minumum age... :)

9. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Similarly Denise used to play cornet in our ensemble (Cadenza) and was taught music at secondary school by our conductor and we played at her wedding. Her husband Mark used to play Trombone and that's how he met Denise.
    Operatnity was nowhere near as tacky or as pretentious as Pop Idol and really shouldn't be compared to it at all!
    Both Denise and Jane had chances to go to music college on their owns merits, but chose marriges and families instead. Operatunity gave them the chance to show their true talents.

http://www.deniseleigh.com/

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Success or failure in any field can hang by a series of lucky breaks and chance encounters. Don't forget that one of our top singers (John Shirley Quirk, I think) was "discovered" when he was a schoolteacher, and Harrison Ford was recommended for the role in "Star Wars" whilst filling in as a carpenter between acting jobs. You could even link up with Leonard Bernstein, who shot to prominence when deputising at short notice for Sir John Barbirolli - if he had not taken that chance he could have remained in the background.

Sometimes it's a question of being in the right place at the right time.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Operatunity
    Pop Idol
    UK Albums Chart
    Denise Leigh
    Jane Gilchrist - Operatunity Winners