Open University

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Has anyone else done any courses with the OU?

I am currently working on my last project (ECA) for the first module for a MA in Education, and I've been really impressed with them. Really organised, clear structure, really helpful when you ring them for advice :tup
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I did an MBA with them and thoroughly enjoyed it - quality course content which I have used extensively since graduating. I have also worked with their Corporate University arm CORUS - my day job is all about the way we can use technology as learning tools for both formal and informal learning. (probably explains why I spend a lot of time on tMp, facebook & twiiter!) and OU have doen a lot of work in this area as well.

Like many OU students who graduated later in life, I always include the full OU designation for my degree when it's used - MBA (Open) and I have the utmost respect for anyone who has juggled work family and a Masters programme in this way.
    I recall many occasions when i was completing an assignment in an airline lounge or driving to my tutor to deliver the assignment (they have electronic submission now of course!) but well worth it.
    I did consider a Doctorate for a brief nanosecond but that would probably have finished me off!

Best of luck!
  3. Di B

Di B Member

Did a Cert in management and Dip Management with them. (Equivalent to mba stage 1)

I found that it depends on your tutor. Some are really good, positive and ensure that your study group gets along well. Others do what is necessary, no more.

I was lucky to get an excellent tutor followed by a reasonable tutor, but have known some drop out/switch classes due to lack of support.
    If you don't like your tutor do feel free to request another to make sure you get the best out of it.

Apart from that I enjoyed my study with them. Am still in touch with 3 out of 4 people from my study group 2 years on, the course material was clear and useful in my job and the OU supported you if you ran into work/personal difficulties with additional tuition and assignment extensions.

I would recommend them to anyone wishing to study.
  4. NeilW

NeilW Member

I thought you got a certificate after the first of 3 years, a diploma after the second and your masters at the end of the third.... Certainly that's what my wife was told when she got her Cert. Man. (which was from a different uni)

I have an MSc in Software Development from the OU that I finished last year. Very proud moment!
  5. andywooler

For the OU, there are 3 courses - Certificate (1 yr), Dilpoma (1yr) and the MBA itself which can be done in 2 yrs . If you have no underlying degree, you start with Certificate which was the route I had to take. (although this of course may have changed)
  6. Di B

Di B Member

The route is 1year certificate, 1 year diploma then MBA stages 2 and 3 which can be done in 18 months but most do in 2years. The diploma make you exempt from stage 1 if you study with the OU or you can do MBA Stage 1 instead of diploma.
  7. andywooler

Their Alumni support after you have finished is also very good with lots of on-line resources and regular one day sessions.
  8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Thanks! Have finished the final essay now, and all signed up for module number 2 - E804
  9. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

I did a BSc in computer studies from 1990 to 2000 10 years of my life with no decorating or home maintenance (absoltely fabulaous) the best part was the summer school in 1991 where I learned to survive on £300 for 5 days all food provided, money purely on beer etc. and three hours sleep per night. excellent practice for Pontins.

I have the utmost respect for anyone gaining their degree this way.
  10. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

I have been tutoring on law courses with the OU since 2001 and have every respect for people who gain a degree this way. It certainly isn't an easy option, but the materials provided by the Open Univesity are excellent and it certainly beats the vagaries of taking notes in overcrowded lectures with a hangover! Am about to start a music diploma course with them to try to recapture what I learned at school so it will be interesting to see it all from a student viewpoint.
  11. wkt

wkt Member

I did a BA with the OU in the early to mid 1980's and an MBA from around 2000 to 2004. It is a great system, with excellent teaching materials. I did enjoy the experience.