Open Uni ...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Obi one Tromboni, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Obi one Tromboni

Obi one Tromboni New Member

I'm fairly new here, so please just humour me! (ie please reply!)

I've just completed an open uni course in "design and the web" and was wondering:

a) if anyone would give me an opinion on my work? - http://www.onchansilverband.org/Profiles/Meet%20the%20Band.asp - (these pages and the photo's are mine) also i had to do a whole website but i'm not allowed to publish it till it's been marked.

b) if anyone else did the same course and what they thought?

c) if anyone else has done any open uni course and what they thought?

d) anything else you'd like to add!!?

:D thanks Mark

PS. the band website is still a work in progress, but i still think it's quite cool ;) :biggrin:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mark PS.
    :D
    band website
    work
    open uni course
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I've done OU Music Courses and am currently doing OU PostGrad in Managment of Software Projects.

Regards to all at Onchan!

4. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

I did an OU degree in Chemistry and Geology - flippin' hard work I thought, but got there in the end. Had to re-learn housework and reading novels afterwards.

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I did an OU MBA - hard work starting studying again when you're past 40! But well worth it. If I had the time, I would consider another. (I did think for a very short while about a phd but sense soon returned!)

6. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

My husband did an OU MBA and did the same as you - just thought about a PhD, but kept having flashbacks to trying to find tutor's houses at midnight on the cutoff date for TMAs and decided he just couldn't face it!

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

TMA's are all submitted online now, no need to find Tutor's houses!!

It is hard to find time to do extra study, especially over summer months when the weather is fine and the beer gardens are at their most tempting!! :)

8. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Oooh yes, I remember it well - and then there's all that time off between November and February, just when you need to be gardening!!

9. Di B

Di B Member

I'm doing the OU Professional Certificate in Management.

I really dreaded going back to study after 10 years and I found the 'management style' writing really difficult to get to grips with at first.

Now I am 3/4 of the way through, I find I am really enjoying it.
    I've made new friends at the tutorials, I am learning things that directly apply and are useful to my job, my tutor has a fantastic dry sense of humour and the weekend tutorial (which I dreaded) was actually great fun with a lot of alcohol!

Only one more TMA then the exam to go.
    I'm even considering doing the next course already - never thought I'd feel like that about studying again. I'd recommend the OU to others now.

I could of course be biased - I got my most recent TMA score today and scored 96%!!! :)
    I am currently bouncing around the office with happiness so I'll have to get back to it! :)

10. Di

Di Active Member

Hi Mark.

I haven't done anything so clever as any design courses, but I've had a look at the website and I like it. Clean, neat, "easy on the eye" colours, easy to navigate and has everything you need to know about the band. :clap:

11. NeilW

NeilW Member

I finished the last course for my Post Graduate Diploma in Software Development in October (got the exam result last week - OKish as I'd found the last course hard). The diploma is 120 PG points, which was 7 courses and has taken me 4 years.

I actually have a bit of a break until Feb now which is when my dissertation starts to get the MSc. Actually, the dissertation needs stuff doing before you start, and I've found it quite confusing working out that they needed and when - its the first time they've done all the "off the shelf" project selection on-line, and its not been totally plain sailing....

I'd recommend the OU, but there are other Uni's that are doing "distance learning" nowadays. Look around to see who does what you're interested in.

I agree with AndyWooler - the longer you've been away from accedemic learning, the more difficult it is to get the grey cells to retain information!

Neil.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mark PS.
    :D
    band website
    work
    open uni course
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Problem most people have with any distance learning course is fitting in the time to do the work. Can't be easy doing that and leading your normal life as well.

14. DesignNotes

DesignNotes New Member

Regarding the site... the page you linked to....

The image on this page is 307Kb! You could reduce the size of this image considerably without very much quality loss by recompressing it. As a general rule all the images on your site are too big.

- Mixture of fonts? Menu is a different font to content, and a different font to the header. I'd personally stick with the menu font! Keeping things the same creates an identity for your website, same applies for picking a colour scheme. Check out some CSS, the readablity of the site would benefit greatly from some line spacing.

- Tables are for data, not for building a layout! Check out what you can do with CSS stylesheets, its worth having a look at CSS Zen Garden. Tables where orginally intended for tabular data, however about 10-12 years ago people relised that by formating tables and applying images you could create more advanced webdesigns, and this allowed people to stop using frames as a design tool! As frames are badly looked apon because they create all sorts of problems when it comes to search engine optimization.

- Email addresses are unprotected inside the page, bots will find these email addresses and you will get spammed, lots! Either code a ASP(or php) email form, or just encode the email address. Googling will find you a website which does the encoding for you.

-

I don't want to put you off webdesign at all and I appericiate that technology related courses strugle to stay up to date because by the time the course is validated the standard has changed, but using tables as a design tool is really in the past now. Ideally you want to be building using CSS, and then using tables for data. However I'm sure you're course has given you a good grounding and you can build apon this, there are plenty of sites about CSS design, and lots resources avalible.

For starters check www.alistapart.com, maybe have a look at there article on CSS rollovers and CSS layout design. CSS Zen Garden is another good place, just to look and see whats posible with CSS as a design tool.

Good luck, all the best! Laurence

15. Obi one Tromboni

Obi one Tromboni New Member

Thanks for your replies! :p In response to DesignNotes (clearly knowledgeable) comments i'd just like to say:

although i did the pages i linked to, i am not the OSB website admin and so i can't put the stuff online. Also i used the pic from the main page as i was asked to. Basically, i just used the template for the page i was given and put my own info in between. I didn't change the likes of the email addresses at all.

The pics, i know are too big really, but this is an area i'm just getting to grips with at the mo. Generally i'm more interested in taking the pics, but as no-one else was gonna put them online i thought id give'em a hint and do some myself!

On your point about tables - are you familiar with the course i've just done? Because, i am a total beginner - never claimed any more! and i haven't yet been taught any other way of structuring a site! In other words, so far tables are all i know. Considering 4 months ago my talent online stretched to posting (like this) on forums, i don't think i'm doing to bad! You obviously know alot more about such things than me, and you're not likely to put me off web design, so next time i do a site i'll be sure to take on what you've said and try to use it!

Oh, and the fonts - i just used what they gave me, where they told me to! None of them were down to my personal choice.

i've only done one site all my own with no restrictions. It was my very first and so far only! but if you'd like to give me your thoughts on that ...? http://discuss2.open.ac.uk/~mark_halliday/No_2.5.html
    ... please! :biggrin: (i think it's still online!?)

Anyway, thanks again for the comments, i will try to use them constructivly! :D

regards, mark

ps. and i still think the osb sites cool! :biggrin: ... but i'm probably a bit biased!

16. RonBarnes

RonBarnes Member

I got an OU degree in the 1970s, taking their third level courses in music. It took a lot of time and effort but it was well worth it. I found their tutorial material excellent and is now much more accessible than when I studied it. I'm a great supporter of the OU and would encourage anybody to give it consideration.

17. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

I graduated in 2000 with a Bsc (no named degrees then) in computing. it only took me ten years.
    I'm now, 6 years later just getting to grips with all the decorating and DIY that didn't get done in the ten years I was studying. I did get withdrwal symptoms for a couple of years after but wouldn't go back to it now.

site looks great.

18. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

I graduated in 2000 too - and as you say it takes ages to get back to "normal". I think it took nine years to do my BSc and you get used to ignoring anything that really isn't desperately urgent (other than course work!) I really enjoyed the courses, and would recommend them to anyone - you just need to be a bit ******-minded to keep going at times!

The site's really good.:tongue:

19. DesignNotes

DesignNotes New Member

No problem at all! I've had a look at your site and again it uses the same sort of table technique you've been taught on your course. Now although it does work, there are easier ways to do the same thing with CSS, which will allow for alot more flexibility.

In an ideal world you are aiming to keep the HTML page for CONTENT, not design. So we use CSS to style the content. Now of course the content can include tables, but you'd be using tables for there intended purpose, for holding data, say a companys yearly accounts.

What I'd recommend is having a look at the below article...
    http://alistapart.com/articles/holygrail

It covers how to achieve that 3 section design using CSS. Try it out! Open up Notepad and make some pages! If you come across any problems your more than welcome to drop me a PM and I'll try and sort you out!

All the best, Laurence

(p.s I'm not familar with the course you took)