Open Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Janet Watkins, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Hot off the press!

Did we beat 4BarsRest? :wink:

1. YBS
    2. Whitburn
    3. Black Dyke
    4. Fairey
    5. Brighouse & Rastrick
    6. Cory
    7. Fodens
    8. Ever Ready
    9. Tredegar
    10. Yorkshire Imps Urquart Travel
    11. Kirkintilloch
    12. Besses o' th' Barn
    13. Scottish Co-op
    14. Leyland
    15. Travelsphere Holidays
    16. Illinois Brass
    17. Cwmaman Institute (Tower Colliery)
    18. Carlton Main Frickley
    Best soloist: Soprano - Whitburn

Thanks Stephen2001

2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Just had a calculation for the nearest tMP predictions (since I am stuck in sick and not out celebrating with all the rest of you! :cry: )

This is how the results were calculated- a max of 6 points for each place making a total of 36 availiable points.

i.e YBS came 1st so you would have got the following points for YBS
    6th place= 1 point
    5th place= 2 points
    4th Place = 3 points
    3rd Place = 4 points
    2nd Place = 5 points
    1st Place = 6 points

and Dyke came 3rd so you would have got the following points for dyke
    6th Place = 3 points
    5th Place = 4 points
    4th Place = 5 points
    3rd Place = 6 points
    2nd Place = 5 points
    1st Place = 4 points

The results are:

Leisa 26
    4BarsRest 24
    Toby 24
    Twigglet 22
    hoppiebari 21
    Dyl 20
    PC 20
    John Flugel 19
    markyboy 19
    Naruco 19
    Iggmeister 18
    Roger Thorne 18
    EbHorny 18
    Nadia 17
    Yorkie19 16
    Andy_Euph 16
    NAS 16
    Ploughboy 16
    Whatsharp 15
    Iyoung 15
    big_benthomson 15
    Mutsuji 14
    Borfeo 14
    Darth Tuba 12
    Peterbale 12
    floraldance 12
    Maestro 11
    Beard_4b 11
    Sparkly 10
    Baritone Impesanio 0
    Flugelatbr 0

Seems 4bars did quite well with their predictions and I did rubbish... well done Leisa!
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

hehe!! maybe i'm not so dumb after-all!! :shock: :shock: :)
  4. markyboy

markyboy Member

Congratulations Leisa! As promised I'll send you a Pennine Brass cd, hope you enjoy it. Please leave me a pm with your address and I'll post it to you.
  5. leisa

leisa Active Member

oooh didn't know i won a prize!!!! isn't it exciting?? :) :p
  6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

well done to the YBS guys, mick particully

well done Jim, moving to Edingburgh not too bad after all!!

well done ever one! even the barman!!!
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

In fact you've one two prizes. As well as the CD from Pennine Brass I offered to donate a piece of music to the winner, so again PM me your address and I will send off your prize.

8. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

jus got back from the open... very tiring but great day! glad to say i met a few Tmp'ers down there...shame the bar is sooooooooo expensive dammit! congrats to everyone who played!
  9. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

Got back myself a while ago - amazing day out, think it was a fair result - wow the conductor of the American band was quite active!
  10. Bariman

Bariman Member

Thanks for doing the calculations sparkling-quavers.

I know I started this but I'm gald you finished it - saved me all the brain ache!
  11. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

ooo wahey Rog what piece of music has leisa won?
  12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Had a great day and a nightmare journey home, but hey...

YBS were terrific - I had Brighouse, Cory and Dyke next, in that order.

Planets turned out to be quite a test for some bands but I'm looking forward to hearing some 'proper band music' again.

Good to meet up with so many from tMP. Hope Roger's car was not clamped!

13. leisa

leisa Active Member

wahey!! flixton-ites will be happy!!! :lol:
  14. leisa

leisa Active Member

Well done to ybs! and dyke! does any1 know if C.Wood was playin perc with dyke? whio came in the middle? well done to them too!!!!
  15. deave

deave Member

I had YBS and Cory as my top two, for me YBS had something magic which other bands got nowhere near! Just like 'Les Preludes' they didn't stick to an Orchestral interp but what they did really worked for brass band. Faireys Jupiter was amazing, such a shame Venus didn't come off!! I thought Whitburn were v good, but what did them good was their consistancy, no real slip ups and a v nice band sound.

Great performers on the day for me were, Dyke & Cory Euph, Cory & Ever Ready Flugel, Sop Cory, Dyke(so controlled) and Cornet CWS.
  16. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

oh my god deave..u almost sound like a BOC! :wink:
  17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hehe :) deave..? boc?? nar :p
  18. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

yes deave, you're putting me to shame!

Seriously though, a good day, but for me the piece didn't quite come off. Hope the organisers bring back the policy on commissioning new works next year, for me the contest seemed to lack the buzz of previous opens, maybe because the music was so familiar. Venus did sort the bands out, infact almost too much as almost every band had accidents and this became a bit of a leveller! Didn't hear Whitburn, but congratulations to them.
    Can't disagree with the result too much, although I'm sure Cory will feel more than a little unlucky with their placing. YBS gave a very classy performance though.

Touche deave-the BOC title is mine again!
  19. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well done to YBS. They had all the right soloists in all the right places for this one! They seem to keep winning it every other year too! :D

As regards our result, 14th was pefectly fair. Venus went very awry on stage and we never recovered, no matter how good Jupiter was going to be :( The mobile phone was a tad annoying, but I'm sure we weren't the only band who had this happen? How hard is it for people to switch the bloody things off! :evil:
  20. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

To be fare I heard 14 bands and only heard one mobile phone ring. I know this is one too many, and I agree it is damn annoying that this happens. But I think the audience yesterday did make a big effort.

What did annoy me though was the amount of people who had coughing fits at the beginning of the performances and the constant noise of sweets packets being opened. :evil:

Ban Mobile Phones, Sweets, and issue cough drops with every programme!