Open predictions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Darth_Tuba, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, with two weeks to go, what does everyone think? Hard one to predict as ever, despite grimeys absence there's still too many top bands to choose from. Here's my random ordering of some bands that could, if one were so inclined, be called a prediction:

1) Faireys
    2) Fodens
    3) Cory
    4) Dyke
    5) YBS
    6) Leyland

Not really got any reasons behind these... no idea to be honest, just thought I'd get the ball rolling :D
  2. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

1. Dyke
    2. Cory
    3. Fodens
    4. Faireys
    5. B&R
    6. YBS

No scientific formula here - just having a stab.

Dyke have had a lean year or so, so will be keen to do especially well. Cory and B&R are always well prepared. I love YBS approach, they always have something different but it's a question of what the judges think of it. Fodens and Faireys have class players who will always put them in contention. There is nearly always a few surprise band or two to prove 'big band' predictions wrong - not sure who it could be. Travelsphere a dark horse maybe - settled team with Major Parkes up front.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

1. Cory
    2. YBS
    3. Black Dyke
    4. Fodens
    5. Illinois
    6. Leyland

Again, no real scientific reasons, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the test piece may suit our American friends rather more than a "traditional", more mellow opus would.
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Beurgh! :twisted:
  5. 1 carlton main frickley
    2 ever ready
    3 whitburn
    4 kirkintillock
    5 cwmaman
    6 yorks imps
  6. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Is this the result if all the others withdraw or are you working from last up? lol.
  7. you never know .it would be great if it did happen though.
  8. Bones

Bones Member

Nice one Nick.

Chuckle Chuckle
  9. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yer never know!! orchestral judge, orchestral piece, he might like a musical performance!! :wink:
  10. mutsuj

mutsuj Member

Open Predictions.

The draw will be important as always but IMHO:

For me it has to be the DYKE this year, its the depth of sound required to succeed on this one. Anyone heard Whit Friday CD at Delph, Dyke sound like they have another 10 players in the band compared with other bands sounds, .. its huge. Plus they have corner men & women to do this piece.. ( Esp Flugal & Sop parts)

Then Cory, who continue to deliver consistantly,

3) YBS
    4) Fodens
    5) Leyland
    6) Fairy's
    7) Coop
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have my 2p (honest, its all the change I have!) to say Leyland should win! :lol:

12. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Yes, it's difficult to know what'll happen without knowing what the draw will be and who's in the box. Anyone heard anything yet? Will they have gone for the usual suspects or some orchestral guys? James Gourlay is not conducting anyone this time around and this is certainly not because he hasn't had offers! Possibilty he could be in there. Also, they might see sense and put the arranger in there too. Hmmm... anyway... anyone know when they actually announce who's in the box?
  13. mutsuj

mutsuj Member

Open Predictions.

I think that the adjudcators are only officially made known on the day, but as you know it does get out earlier....

C'mon everyone lets have your first 6.
  14. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

1st YBS
    2nd Cory
    3rd Dyke
    4th Leyland
    5th Tredegar
    6th Faireys

I have put YBS first because looking at the last few years it seems there turn, (between them and Cory anyhow). I also think that Leyland are gonna be good after victory at the Masters. As for Tredegar, never rule out a conductor who has been given the boot in less than open circumstances- he has a point to prove. Faireys would be my choice but I dont think that this is their year.

15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Nice idea Chris to have the arrnger in the box. If this is the case, I wonder if there will be an errata sheet to go with his comments! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

My 'guess':

1. YBS
    2. Fodens
    3. Black Dyke
    4. Cory
    5. Leyland
    6. Faireys
  17. markyboy

markyboy Member

Go on then I'll have a bash as well. Lots of things to take into consideration, (draw, who's in the box etc) but I just feel it in my water it will be Dyke's day, as do one or two others.
    So: my first six will be
    1st Black Dyke
    2nd Faireys
    3rd Fodens
    4th Cory
    5th YBS
    6th Brighouse
    ps I know there is nothing at stake here, but does anyone remember a few years ago when B+H offered a full set of instruments for anyone who could predict the top six places at the Nationals?
    The contest then threw up some very unexpected results! I cant remember what happened afterwards. Did anyone get it right and/or was the full set ever won?? Thinking caps on if you please!!
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

They could always have the composer as well - he's already in a box :!: :wink: :lol:
  19. leisa

leisa Active Member

20. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

1 - Cory
    2 - Fodens
    3 - Dyke
    4 - YBS
    5 - Brighouse
    6 - Leyland

Dark Horses - Tredegar / Imps