Open next weekend

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassfanatic, Aug 27, 2010.

1. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

Is the test piece available to hear online anywhere - I'd like to know what I'm listening out for before I go.

Also - what does one say to a fellow bandsman with the feeling:

"Why would someone want to sit for hours listening to the same piece being played by twenty odd bands?"

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    Uncle Bryn
    Apple
    guys
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Someone has to stay sober, lol! :rolleyes:

4. Captain Cymru

Captain Cymru Member

5. davidaus

davidaus New Member

Study score

Does anyone know if a study score will be available?

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you need one, scores are available at the venue on the day of the contest.

7. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I would tell them that you can only make a judgement on the bands' playing if you've heard every one of them - too many complain about a result and haven't even heard the bands! I like to pencil down my idea of the placings and see how near I can get. :D

With regards to the boozing - if you've taken part, have the decency to get yourselves out of the bar to listen to the results. You can't tell me it's the same hearing you've been placed in the bar as it is being in the hall... The punters are there to see you, and I always think it's a real shame that a winner is announced and the majority aren't even in the hall. The sound of only a few cheers in the hall is pitiful! :mad:

Those who know me will prob say 'she puts that every comp' - yep! I do! And things'll prob never change...

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I listened to all the bands last year (as I am going to do this year, hopefully). By chance, my top six tallied with the judges but placings could have went either way for a couple of them. I didn't agree with the lower ones though. At the end of the contest, I have a chance to say hello to a lot of people I would have otherwise missed, so I usually stay around the fringe of the hall (not inside) for the results.

9. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

I bought the Cory CD 'Triumphant Brass' and it's on there, not sure if it's available anywhere online; really like the piece, and am really looking forward to going next weekend. The thought of listening to 20 of the world's best bands playing a piece I really like makes the long day worth it! Or so I hope! :)

10. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

Think you'll still be saying this for a long time as far as 'The Open' is concerned, bandsmen/women have to buy a ticket to get into the hall, don't think you'll find many doing that!

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Out of interest, anyone who is going to listen to all or the majority of bands can try an informal adjudication trial run both by Steven Mead and 4BR, from which the results will be collated later. Information about this project can be found at Steven Mead's website below ...

http://www.euphonium.net/home.php?newsID=206

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    I
    Uncle Bryn
    Apple
    guys
  13. JCampbell

JCampbell New Member

I just downloaded it and am going to give it a go, but I don't think I will hear all the bands but I usually hear most of them. See you down there tom!!

14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I can think of somebody who stirred up one hell of a fuss last year. It turns out he hardly listened to anybody else. Still, who am I to judge....;)

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Cheers! You know what I'm like when reflecting on band performances ... :rolleyes:

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Duncan, that can be many people I can think of (at various contests) !! I think this should be given a shot! Only quibbles I have is whether the assesor uses/"is familar with" the score or not (to note things such as tempi markings, effects and expression).

17. jockinafrock

Ha-Ha..! They obviously haven't sussed how to outwit the system... If they wanted to get in for the results there's always a way...;)

18. jockinafrock

Bloomin 'eck! Just had a squizz at it - I'd miss half the performance following this :oops:. Think I'll just go for 'overall impression'.... :biggrin:

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

At least that's a starting point, lol! The model is informative in that feedback can break down areas for development, even if the lowest point of reference is categorised as "fair". Depends if you assess the performance top-down or based on a set of informed expectations.

20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Well, I've played Bruckner 8 and The Blue Bells of Scotland, so I know bits of it ;)

21. simonium

simonium Member

He has put himself in the firing line though hasn't he? And stirred up enough fuss to give the adjudication debate another airing. I'm unable to go this year but will be watching with great interest.

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Looks like I will have to get my recording of the 8th Symphony listened to before Friday then! :rolleyes: