Open DE France - Amboise 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by steve butler, Apr 7, 2011.

1. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Me and Mrs B are planning a trip to France in our motorised home this May/June and I've heard about this festival, wondered which bands may be competing and if anyone can fill me in on the merits of a weekend there.
    I think this would make a great start to our trip and who knows I may even bump into a few mates or meet up with some tmpers for a drink ;)

I think the event is the weekend of 20th-22nd May.
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

No idea who's going this year, and its a helluva long journey just for a contest (imho), but its definitely worth a visit if you're going that way anyway. Its a pretty town, and in addition to the contest 'proper' and gala concert (I heard its Willebroek this year) most of the bands also do a march and short concert in the town square, which is conveniently edged with chairs and tables attached to cafes and bars.
    There's also a very good cocktail bar just on the other side of the river where you're pretty much guaranteed to meet lots of banders, especially after the gala concert & results. Just watch the current if you decide to go for a paddle after sampling several cocktails......!
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

That sums it up pretty well, just watch out for the odd hobo.....:wink:
  4. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Hi - I have been 3 times - twice to compete and once just for a weekend trip. It is a beautiful place and a very enjoyable weekend. It has always been extremely hot - especially in the concert or contest - almost unbearably so.

The results are always interesting to say the least and it has been a happy coincidence for the organisers that the winners of the contest happened to be the band doing the big gala concert.

Great weekend - take plenty of pocket money

5. Ex-Pat BBb

Ex-Pat BBb New Member

Being an ex-member of Flowers Band I was always happy to accept that as a coincidence too (3 runners-up spots, beaten by the 'featured' band each time) :rolleyes:
  6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Won't be that long of a journey for Mr B, I've seen him drive his campervan, he really does put his foot down!!

Have a good trip Mr B, I'm missing you!! :)
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Lovely area, don't think twice about it.

Do your travel plans call for a stop in the Oxford area? [As for example they might if using the Portsmouth-Caen ferry] You'd be very welcome.
  8. steve butler

Thanks for all replies chaps, our mind is definately made up, sounds like the perfect start to our trip. We are thinking of setting off Thursday evening after work, so may well stop somewhere en-route to the tunnel (Mrs B refuses to take ferries Dave), probably would prefer to get nearer to the tunnel - but if anyone has room for our cosy camper (6metres) on their drive? The other option would be to get a late crossing and park up somewhere froggified for a few hours :D
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Well, I reversed a Luton Van onto our driveway a month or so back - must be about the same length? But Oxford isn't really en route to Kent from Yorkshire...
  10. JR

JR Member

Amboise 2011

I will be there once again taking Lockwood Brass in the top section. It's a fantastic weekend.

The prospect of doing Year of the Dragon in the Theatre in almost 40 degree heat with no air con should be fun - I have it on authority that Phil Wilby nearly keeled over in the box last year but that might have been due to some dodgy renditions of Lowry Sketchbook...

We will be defending our "outside 20 minute entertainment" title including the special prize for loudest percussion.
    And don't forget the Whit Friday-esque March contest -we managed 3rd prize last year against some stiff continental opposition (including some interesting ideas on what constitutes a contest march)

I think Willebroek are doing the Gala Concert (the one with the results half way through at about 11pm...) - hopefully they havent entered the contest!

I can recommend the local wines (Touraine, Vouvray, Chinon) - much cheaper than the beer...

John R
  11. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

........ and with five of us, "Team Perc" will be even louder this year!

Always a cracking weekend with plenty to see and do. A very well organised and friendly event - I would recommend it to anyone whether playing or spectating.

Just hoping the beer fund doesn't dry up at the Spring Festival the weekend before!
  12. steve butler

Thanks guys, I'll look out for you - and have ear defenders at the ready :wink:
    We shall certainly be sampling the local wines John, last time we were in that area we brought 180 bottles back!
  13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Not always true, when I won it with Wingates, we had the Friday night concert....:biggrin:
  14. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Any results from yesterday yet?
  15. paddo

paddo Member

From what I hear lock wood were 2nd overhaul, won march and entertainments contest. Good result guys and gals.......
  16. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Well done Lockwood! I believe Willebroek won
  17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Blackley were 2nd in the 3rd/4th section
  18. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

Do you know won that section Andy?

Also any ideas on Brassage v Borgiaq
  19. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not a clue sorry, only know Blackley's result.
  20. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member