Open Adjudication

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Neillyboy, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Scottish banding had a premiere this weekend . . . in open adjudication for the Scottish Open and the Scottish Shield.

Needless to say the intimidating black box wasnt in sight, but instead an xfactor style panel of adjudicators with some beady eyes. It was interesting to watch them as they worked because they seemed intrigued and captured by what they saw and the results were a very fair reflection of how the bands played.

My only concern is if this becomes more frequent , there could be an issue of "match fixing"!!

How did people rate this open adjudication??
  2. Playabit

Playabit Member

Does it matter if they are in a box or not especially when there is a pre-draw days before a contest?
    In or out there is always the argument of did they know a certain band was playing at what ever number..but perhaps with an open adjudication and a panel of 3 this may well be a fair way to run things..
  3. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Someone described it as more "user friendly".
  4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever considered the effect that a fabric tent or wooden box might have on the accoustic of a band when heard from the inside? I'm not actually sure if there is a difference, perhaps one of our fellow tmpers who has some adjudication experience could answer this?

I know that all bands would suffer the same disadvantage/advantage, but are we denying ourselves the opportunity to have a piece judged as we play it, or as it is heard through a thick curtain etc.
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes, me!

Scroll down about two thirds of the way for the letter headed 'The Sound Barrier'.
  6. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I didn't even notice where the adjudicators were (I don't look for the box ever), so to me it felt like any other contest. It was a nice atmosphere, I enjoyed playing in the hall.

If people are worried about match-fixing, why not have open adjudication but not pre draws? Not everyone knows the uniforms of every band in every section ;)
  7. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I would have thought that adjudicators, in the top section espeically, would be able to tell a band from their sound and some of their player's sounds anyway.
  8. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Yes, but that's only the top section. If everyone is so paranoid keep it closed for them, and open for everyone else :tongue:
  9. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

You could say that, but that would just be a faf and the bands who wanted open adjudication will not like other bands having the box, if the box proves an advantage. Also, the bands who wanted closed box adjudication, would say it would still be unfair because the adjudicators could narrow it down from who they've seen. I said top section because it's the easiest to work it out there but it does happen in lower sections also. Also, MDs have their own personal styles.

Bit of a new thing here, but what do people think of just having one adjudicator and at set work contests, if possible, the composer being the adjudicator?
  10. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

At the nationals this year, I was fairly disappointed when Philip Harper was not announced to judge his own commission, instead it was 2 fellas who had never heard the piece and needless to say their interpritation of the piece wasnt great. Saying that, I fully take my hat off to them for sitting from half 2pm right through to 11pm. They must have had very tired hearing.

I do think that the composer knows the piece best, and the interpritation of the piece should reflect the ideas he has written. Yes, ensemble, intonation and other techniques are important but surely there must be some input to musical interpritation somewhere.

I'm not very good at trying to convey what I say so I hope you all follow :D
  11. delboy822

delboy822 Member

Hehe I've heard of one band who had the composer of the piece they were playing conducting them, and written in the adjudicators remarks was the immortal line "not what the composer would have wanted"... so interpretation is definitely important, but if it's not delivered well, that will always overrule...
  12. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Hahaha that is hilarious but I can see how that happened. Cause the adjudicator didnt know what band was on at the time haha. Open adjudication would have made that a right scandal eh lol
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It definitely happened to Eric Ball, and also (so I'm told) to Philip Sparke...
  14. Zappa

Zappa Member

When it comes to the argument of open adjudication and closed adjudication, i've always thought by putting the movements 'top' most experienced and 'well respected' men/women in a box are we not saying ... We don't trust you to make an impartial professional decision? :dunno
  15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Glad I'm not alone. The question of open adjudication often sparks discussion about the integrity of our adjudicators (which I do not intend to call into question), but I believe that these are the kind of factors we should consider when discussing this topic
  16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Better than your spelling, pal!

I don't take my interpretation into the box with me; I'm very happy to listen to yours, and really there is no single 'correct' interpretation of a piece of music in any case, not even the composer's. Different approaches may work equally well.

And I had heard the piece before: I was provided with a recording by the organisers and had been conducting the piece and trying things out with a band (not one that was competing!) as part of my preparation for the contest.

17. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Sorry spelling isnt my strong point.

When you say that David it kinda makes sense now. It would be very difficult to have one set interpretation on a piece as everyone has a different picture.
    That was highlighted on Saturday at the scottish Shield because although it was open adjudication, the 3 adjudicators were sitting a good 3 metres from each other. And the placings of each band as to where the adjudicator thought was fit, were completely different bar one, which was the winning band.

I find it fascinating.

P.S Sorry if I caused any offence David. It wasnt intended.
  18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

None taken :)