Online Services - Excellent or Worrying?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Just applied for my tax disc renewal online. Absolutely brilliant. No more queueing in the Post Office, no more scrambling around trying to find out the Insurance Certificate and MOT. It took about 3 minutes. As long as you have the new MOT certificate then all you need is the renewal form. All I have to do now is sit back and wait for the tax disc to come through the post.

I was thinking, however, that if I didn't work and wasn't a member of a brass band, how easy it would be to never have to leave home! The bank takes care of finances in and out. I can use the internet for my weekly shop as well as everything else I need to purchase. What will we be doing in 10 years time. Will there be a 'virtual' brass band? Screens and audio equipment in every home so there will be no more travelling to rehearsals or concerts? LOL! Can just imagine this can't you? People buying their tickets online for a concert and for this they get to see a concert in the comfort of their own home. :biggrin:

Seriously though, what is going to happen to people's social skills in the future? Are we all going to become hermits? Quite worrying really. Hopefully this will not happen in my life time! :eek:
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

So: to get the tax disc at the PO you need MOT and insurance. To get tax disc online you only need MOT (because presumably there's no easy way to check policy details between all the various computers).

I've heard that the two main occasions vehicles are found to be uninsured is either after an accident, or due to not having a current tax disc (because no insurance = no tax). So to maximise tax collection, the check on insurance is scrapped. Hmmm... anyone else see the negative implications here?
  3. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I think your insurance details may be in the their database, so, no insurance, no tax disc!:clap:
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Correct. Your insurance details are automatically loaded onto the DVLA computer by the Insurance company as soon as your policy is activated.

I ordered my tax disc online - it was great as I was short of time and couldn't find my MOT cert or insurance details.
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

**BOC MODE**
    Sorry - incorrect. Your insurance details are entered on to a national computer database (called the Motor Insurers Database - MID) by the insurer when they deem to transmit the details. Some insurers (albeit very few I understand) only transmit these details once a week. Those details are only accepted by the national computer database if they are in the correct format laid down by the administrators. The national database is administered by the MIIC. All authorities in the UK e.g. DVLA, police, courts and the like have access to this database but it is possible that, even though you have a valid certificate of insurance in your possession your details may not have found their way on to the national database. This is how the DVLA are able to check if your insured. If you apply for your car tax online but your details do not appear on the MID the DVLA will not issue your tax. So be warned. Applying online may be quick and easy but not always the best way.
    **END BOC MODE**

(I never thought my 1000th post would be about something I spend most of my life doing at work:eek::-?)
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

In all honesty, how many social skills would you use going to the Post Office to get a tax disc?

I gave a brief talk to some entirely disinterested sales reps in work recently about how if Johannes Gutenburg was the man of the previous millennium, the man of the next millennium could very well be Tim Berners-Lee (even though his invention was in 1991). The internet, or more specifically the web, has allowed us to do so much more stuff (banking, shopping, paying bills) at our own convenience that we used to have to rush out of work at lunchtime, or use a precious Saturday morning to do. As a result, Britons now have much more leisure time than at any time in the past. How we use that time is down to us, not the computers we use to make our lives easier - I am, incidentally, aware of the irony of having this discussion on an internet forum rather than, say, down the pub :tongue: .

What's more worrying (to me at least) is the proliferation of cheap, rubbish TV, so that (like the US) we now have multiple channels of mindless dross available 24/7 that people actually make an effort to stay in and watch. Even the BBC news talks down to us these days, as though we all have the attention span of a 2 year old.
  7. Bungle

Bungle Member

I found solicitors now have webpages to check on the progress of your housemove, which is impressive. The other impressive thing I have seen is local palanning applications, you can see all the paper work and plans online. House hunting is easier with the details now online, just type in a post code and price range.

Makes you a bit lazy though, I now buy birthday presents from Amazon and they deliver them, saves the wrapping and going to post office. Although I do find Amazon a bit scary when they display the items you might like and I think oh yes I would like that. Having bus and train timetables online has made me use public transport more often. I often use the RAC website to find out how long it takes to drive to a band job.
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oh I don't know, the young lady behind the counter at my local post office is very sociable! I enjoy popping in there! :oops: :tongue:
  9. starperformer

starperformer Member

very worrying trends.
    the WWW seems to me to contribute to many of the worst things about modern culture.
    i hope it goes out of fashion before it becomes too popular.
  10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

OK, the tax disc/insurance thing seems to be covered, perhaps surprisingly, given the government cockups over e.g. online tax credits...

The net allows us to express opinions, anonymously (sp?), that we wouldn't necessarily express in person (e.g. in the pub, or at work), so in that respect, it's allowed more freedom. However, that anonymity allows some strange views to be broadcast, including mine ;)

So, overall, there's definite upsides when it comes to declaring SORN (off road notice) on a vehicle, but downsides when someone suggests that, by agreeing that Jack Straw may have a point regarding Muslim veils, you're racist and anti-muslim.

Social skills - in person - rely a lot on tone of voice and facial expression. These are both missing on T'net. Use smileys :clap:;) - and read everything twice :)
  11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Derek, you may have some strange views (after all there is only one flugel per band, so their view (especially of the conductor) is not shared by anyone else) but you're hardly anonymous as you name yourself and your band in your signature.

Some People, though, do use their anonymity to be 'controversial', 'rude', 'clever', 'challenging', nasty, rude, and think themsleves 'cool' to do so. Of course, when offered a meeting to discuss their personal views face to face, they will unexpectedly find they cannot attend do to an activity holiday that had long since been planned ...
  12. starperformer

starperformer Member

you've made the same mistake - your band is in your signature so it would be a simple matter to find out from them who in the band might use your particular pseudonym...
  13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Yes, Will, I've chosen not to be anonymous on this board - but I could have an anonymous evil twin lurking about... :evil: ;)

As for my view of the conductor... no, don't think I'll go there... :biggrin:
  14. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Lol :D