online/offline icon

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by hicks, Mar 14, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

A minor point, but it's Friday and I'm bored..
    Does anyone else find the status icon (green box) difficult to distinguish between online and offline? I usually find myself hovering over it to know for sure.
    I wonder if it would be easy to change this for something more visually clear?
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Hcks

Which style do you use...?
  3. hicks

hicks Member

I was using the forum default. But I switched to "default_vb" and the icon is clearer.
  4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

FWIW I use tmp Clean and don't find it a problem, but (and there's always a but) perhaps for instinctive recognition, the "off" icon could be changed to red and the "on" icon left as green.

Obviously, people with colour blindness would experience the same difficulty as with traffic lights. How about the "off" icon being a little red x and the "on" icon being a little green...ok, what's the ASCII code for a "tick"?

Yes, Friday afternoons can be boring. Long Live tMP.
  5. TheMusicMan

OK, glad to read this. The default_vb style is just that... a default style as supplied with vBulletin - the application that runs tMP.

I am considering moving to a single style going forward, as this would make things considerably easier for me to manage regarding software updates etc.

Please let me have your thoughts about this default_vb style.

6. hicks

hicks Member

I like the default_vb style, it's widescreen and has a clear status icon. I'd be happy with this style going forward.
  7. TheMusicMan

Excellent news, thanks for the prompt feedback... :tup
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

John, I also like the default_vb style it is easy to read and not too different from "clean" I like the fact that the PM info is at th top of the page again which isn't on "Clean" The only problem is I can't now find the tMP predictions - but am assuming this is because you do not maintain this style as you would do the others
  9. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Wonderful what you can learn.:oops:
    I've just switched to default_vb, looks good:clap:
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  10. TheMusicMan

Correct - this is just a default style that I installed quickly - but rest assured, I will add the tMP predictions to this if we decide to go forward with it.
  11. hicks

hicks Member

Ooh, I just noticed that you don't get the user profile information such as band history with the default_vb style.
  12. The Wherryman

Although I only mentioned colour blindness, there are other possible user issues. I think it is important for other tMP'ers to give this some thought.

For instance, I have a widescreen monitor, which is great for photo-editing. However, I also wear varifocal glasses and, for those who aren't familiar with them, they have lenses not with clearly defined areas of focus like bi-focals, but with several different areas which blend into each other (difference between staccato and legato :)).

When using the tMP Clean, I have a column of text, 7" wide", down the centre of my screen, which I can read very easily just by moving my eyes slightly from left to right.

If I change to default_vb the text now stretches from one side of the screen to the other, a distance of 17". Now I have to physically turn my head from left to right in order to be able to keep the words in focus as I read. Not good (for me, anyway).
  13. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

John, we also had a discussion on a previous thread about how the clean was not always easy to read on all screens. I've just had a look on our PC which we use through the TV and the Default is much easier to read on that type of screen:clap:
  14. TheMusicMan

This is a default, and unedited style, but I will add this if we choose to go forward with this style.

Whichever style we go forward with, rest assured I will be sure to provide both a widescreen and narrow version of it.

Thanks Ruth, appreciate the feedback.
  15. The Wherryman

To compare like with like I've switched between widescreen Clean and vb and I prefer the vb - it appears clearer and more "positive" - that's the only way I can describe it. From your comments, you'd add the user profiles, "go to the top" buttons etc and, for me, the narrowscreen vb would be fine.
  16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I find the blue (in the default) to be a bit in my face....just to be awkward ;)
  17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Nope, had it on for a bit......I much prefer clean I'm afraid....I can't quite put my finger on it....I just find this too generic....

But budgets must dictate ;)
  18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I've just swapped to default_vb, looks like other fora I frequent, including my work's one. Just one thing, on the new posts page, the totally random now appear, whereas they don't in clean.

Why is that?
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think I'm right in saying that the "New posts" was customised to exclude the "Totally random" and "Sports" categories. As John said, he's just trying out default_vb at present, and so hasn't applied the customised settings yet.
  20. TheMusicMan

Yep, Peter is quite right. The default_vb style is exactly that... a default, clean unedited style and as such has none of the additional features I have made to the code that you find in the other styles. Amending the styles is very time consuming, and each time I upgrade the software, this has to be done so as to maintain the full levels of functionality used and available on tMP.

The 'New Posts' feature in all but the default_vb style has been customised to exclude posts from the random category.

I am in the process of evaluating which style we are to use going forward. I can't really keep up with so many styles as I want to be able to apply upgrades to tMP as and when they become available rather than once a year, I also don't want to have to keep paying someone to do the upgrades for me - hence wanting to keep to one style - when I could then do this myself.

@Keith: I can amend the base colours of the default_vb style if you feel this would make an improvement...?

Also - I have added the previous playing experience hover functionality to this style now too for those who were asking about this yesterday.