Online Contest Results Database

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Sep 13, 2010.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm not too sure whether this resource has been posted before on tMP, but I feel that it could become a very powerful tool for analysing the contesting scene (e.g., test-piece choice). It looks like much more data has to be contributed to be more comprehensive from a historical context, but you can add information to help out! What do you think?
  2. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I have found myself in the past going round in circles... *clicks on my band* *clicks on my conductor* *then on former conductor* *then on former conductor's band* *then on contest held by former conductor's band* *then clicks on my band result*

I have been on it for a good hour, checking up the information to make sure its right and also finding out about other bands records.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

At least you will be able to start a conversation with any conductor who happens to stand in, lol!
  4. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Unfortunately, I only retain this information for 2 days... ;)
  5. Statto

Statto Member

Allow me to shamelessly plug an alternative:) here

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Applause for both of you to take on such a task ... lots of data to input! :clap:
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Had a quick look at both and on an very initial impression both sites look like very good efforts. One comment though - it would be good to know and somehow display how many bands were in each section - coming 4th in a field of 5 is a different sort of achivement to coming 4th in a field of 20!
  8. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Hover over the result on a band or conductor - it'll tell you how many bands competed.

I could have sworn that wasn't there this morning... ;-)

9. WoodenFlugel

I did say it was a quick look.... when I really should've been working...;)

Actually I've noticed the BrassStats site links to the full list of bands for each contest - which I hadn't noticed this morning, but I was more thinking of the 'form charts' (being an engineer I like statistics in graph form!) on brassbandresults which doesn't give you a entry - if you hover over each result you get the conductor and contest information but no entry number.

Just thinking about it though I use FireFox and work and IE at home - I wonder if some of these features work better with one or the other.

But hey! I'm not trying to beat up on either site - these things take a huge amount of effort to maintain, let alone write in the first place, and both are a damn site better than anything I could produce.
  10. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Ah, that's more specific.

If definately didn't do that.....yesterday. Try again. :)

11. WoodenFlugel