Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stevetrom, May 5, 2006.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Why is Martin O'Neil always touted as the favourite for every managerial job in football?

Lets look at his record, did OK at Leicester, won the Scottish League wiht Celtic (is that really so difficult?) has done little or nothing in Europe.

I accept he is a decent manager but he seems to have got himself into a position wherte everyone thinks he is a genius without very many real achievements at the top level.

If/when he takes control at Newcastle/Middlesborough/Villa/Sunderland/Man Utd/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Tottenham, etc, etc and takes them to the Premier League and the Champions League maybe he can be regarded as really good.
  2. Sopex

Sopex New Member

Since when has taking a team to the UEFA Cup Final been little or nothing in Europe - England have just appointed a man with the same record.
  3. stevetrom

exactly !

lots of people are having a go at Maclaren saying 'what has he ever done?, O'Neil is better' when in fact Maclaren can at least equal O'Neils record and if you look at his coaching achievemenst maybe even better O'Neil.'
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Wycombe: Champions Vauxhall Conf, Promotion to Football League. Another promotion.
    Leicester: Promoted to Premiership. Won the League Cup.
    Celtic: League Champions: 2001, 2002, 2004. Scottish Cup Winners: 2004, 2005. Uefa Cup Finalists: 2003.

Middlesbrough: League Cup Winners 2004. Uefa Cup Finalists 2006.

Not even equal is it!
  5. stevetrom

You can't really compare Scottish 2 (oh I'm sorry 3 this year) team championship with the Premier Lage or the FA Cup.

So, in a real league their records are:

Leicester: Won the League Cup.

Middlesbrough: League Cup Winners 2004. Uefa Cup Finalists 2006.

Pretty equal
  6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

You forgot the 6 months he was manager at Norwich where his greatest triumph was prompting a mass uprising against the Chairman at the time, and causing myself and thousands of other protestors to be chased through Carrow Road by Police Horses!
  7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I think promoting from within is a great idea.

Just one question what had Bob Paisley won before he took over at Liverpool?
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Obviously it depends on what colour glasses you're wearing!
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Let me introduce you to a quaint Scottish expression we have for people like you - Phud
    Failing that your own sig gives another good term.

<rant>Go on moderate away, but guys like this just get right on my <insert casual expletive here>. Celtic are a way better team than most of your much vaunted premiership. Given access to the millions that even mediocre premiership teams can earn I have no doubt that Celtic, and even Rangers, would be challenging for your title in much less than a decade. How many premiership teams can boast 50,000+ season ticket holders and home gates in the region of 50-60,000.</rant>

Back on topic. Martin O'Neill is a way better manager than Steve McLaren and has proved so. May I remind you that on Celtics run to the UEFA cup final, wee tournament that it is, we beat two Premiership teams in Blackburn and the mighty Liverpool. I honestly think that McLarens appointment is a backward step for England and a bit of a knee jerk reaction to losing their first pick. Look forward to a period of mediocrity. Hell, even Scotland might beat you.
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  10. dyl

dyl Active Member

And again. Great isn't it? ;)

I don't see how appointing a 'yes man' is going to do anything but damage to the England national side - will McLaren do what a lot of people think is necessary and drop Beckham from the team? No way. Seems like an appointment to please the players and the sponsors to me.
  11. stevetrom

12. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I just love these sorts of responses. Those rankings are based on national team results, not the leagues themselves! I totally agree that Celtic would be challenging for honours in the premiership given the same funding that the other teams enjoy but many of the premiership teams are too scared to let them in!

Anyway, O'Neill is by far the superior manager (his track record so far speaks volumes) and his man management skills are unrivelled.
  13. stevetrom

my original point was questioning the perceived reputation of Martin O'Neil. I'm not saying he is a bad manager just that he has'nt really achieved very much at the highest level.

As a united fan I would'nt mind him taking over (after SAF wins anothe CL next season), maybe then we would see what O'Neil can do at the top level.
  14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Each job Martin O'Neill has taken on has been a natural progression. He has achieved in each of the those roles. He has certainly earned the chance at the top level - time will tell if his early successes would transfer to dealing with extra media pressures, prima donna players and impatient chairman.
  15. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I suspect that is the job he is waiting for..... who knows, some sort of gentlemens agreement might have been done already between MUFC and O'Neill!.....
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Or perhaps he is doing exactly what he said he would when he left Celtic - looking after his sick wife. Martin has been linked with many jobs but never once has he said he was considering any offers.
  17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Yeah and the USA are ranked 8th so they are obviously a better team than us :rolleyes:

Martin O' Neil is a great manager and I think it's forgotten that Leicester weren't a big team when he took them up and won the League cup with them. And they had good finishes in the premier league every year. Similarly with Wycombe they were a not a big non-league team when he took them into the football league.

In answer to the original question about why he's always touted for big jobs, it because the people who know their football recognise how good he is