One small step for man...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Listening to 'Last Word' (Radio 4's Obituary program) last night, I learned that Neil Armstrong played the tuba!
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I don't remember seeing it in the famous TV pictures. Did he carry it on the roof rack?

Perhaps he just took the mouthpiece. After all, his fellow astronaut's name was Buzz!
  3. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Neil Armstrong was for many years 2nd EEb bass with the Wapakoneta (Ohio) Cattlemen's and affiliated Ranch-hand's Welfare Institute Prize Silver Subscription Band. Scholarly opinion differs as to what led to his termination from the band , with some sources claiming that his excuse for being unavailable for a job on 20th July 1969 was seen as being symptomatic of commitment issues , whilst others claim it was the expenses claim for mileage back to the gig which led to t'committee taking action.
  4. julian

julian Member

I'm sorry to disagree with you Red Elvis. Neil actually played Bb, although you are, of course, correct with the band. Neil's chosen weapon was a 3 valve Hawkes Excelsior model. He did actually manage to smuggle it aboard that famous mission in 1969 cleverly disguised as part of the launch missle. However, suffering with the common condition often found in Bb bass players - 'numptiness', he forgot that after launch i would be jettisoned after take off with the rest of the unwanted junk.
    Disclaimer: No actual tuba players were harmed as a direct result of the Apollo space programme.
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Funniest thing I've ever read on TMP.......
  6. julian

julian Member

Inspied by the Neil Armstrong tuba story I've been inspired to conduct further research. Apparently in the cold war space race the Russians used to collect all the debris that they could find from the Apollo missions. Unbelivably they uncovered Neil's Excelsior! After several years of research the boffins still couldn't work out where it fitted in. Undetered the valve block eventually became the power house (engine) template for the new Soviet Lada car plant, with the new government company operating out of their Moscow based 'Class A' workshops producing 3 pot 2 stroke engines for the masses. Besides the Excelsior saloon car, there was also the 'Profundo' estate car and an upmarked 4 cylinder model for the Communist party leaders called the 'Imperial'.
    For a number of years there was an unoficial trade between the U.K. and the Soviet Union with them supplying the worst cars ever produced (sorry, I forgot the Austin Allegro) in return for old Bb basses. So, if you're wondering where all the old Exelsior's and Profundo's have gone.
    Stop press.....
    The Chinese are buying old Lada cars in huge numbers. They're stripping out the engines (valve blocks) and selling them back to us in the form of tubas again. They're being branded as......................
  7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

According to several online sources, Neil Armstrong didn't play the tuba - he played baritone. :-?
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

This is correct as my wife was asked to play a baritone solo (might have been euphonium though) with the Lima Symphony Orchestra (near Wapakoneta, OH) in the summer of 1994 in honour of the 25th anniversary of the moon walk*. Pity that he didn't show up. Apparently, he tended to shy away from crowds as he got older.

*and no it wasn't a Michael Jackson piece, but rather Londonderry Air as apparently there are not many orchestra solos that feature the baritone.