One or Two...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rach_Horn, Mar 7, 2005.

?

How many Adjudicators?

1. One adjudicator, one box

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Two adjudicators, one box

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Three adjudicators, one box

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Two adjudicators, seperate boxes

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. Three adjudicators, seperate boxes

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

How come that the Yorkshire championship section had 2 adjudicators and the Midlands only one?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Midlands
    adjudicators
    Yorkshire championship section
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think it's down to each individual region.

4. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

surely it would be alot fairer to have two though ... i mean alot depends on one mans opinions doesnt it!

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Isn't it interesting that Yorkshire results (2 judges) fell into place as people expected, but the Midlands & North (only one judge) had some upsets?

6. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Yes! my point exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Apparently an argument that everyone except the regional committees has noticed...

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well it was put in a questionnaire that all bands recieved.

Trouble with having two adjudicators is that the prize money goes down...

9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

wow am i glad that that i wasnt the only one that noticed this.

i see some of the other areas are having 2 adjudicators aswell. when i tried to explain to my boss this morning a little about the contest set up, he was absolutely gobsmacked that we only have one adjudicator in the box.

i cant understand how a national contest can be condicted differenttly in different areas! surely it would have been better to have it uniform throughtout.
    as for the prize money going down if we had two adjudicators in the midlands, im afraid i cant agree with this one. isnt it one of the biggest supported areas in the country????

ive not really looked into how the contests are run before, but i will definatley be doing so in the future!

10. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

In my opinion, it would be better to have 2 ajudicators, in 2 boxes each giving their own score, and the band with the highest aggregate is the winner. I believe that the main point of the regionals, certainly for lower section banding, is to try to qualify for the nationals. The prize money in the Midlands is so low, it's barely worth considering, so the cost for an extra ajudicator is well worth it!

11. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

It is all down to money at the end of the day. I'm sure most bands would pay a little extra entry fee to cover the cost of an extra adjudicator in order to achieve a more fair & just result. As said before, its the prestige of going to Nationals that's at stake.

The prize money in the North West is low as well so by the time the coach is paid for etc, there isn't much left in the pot anyway.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    Midlands
    adjudicators
    Yorkshire championship section
  13. super_sop

would it be possible to make this into a poll to see how many adjudicators we as tmpers would like to see in the box?

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It does Ben, but then which would you rather have, £150 if you win - and the risk of a dodgy result which may end up with you being relegated or stuck in a section below where you ought to be, or no prize money at all and a better chance of actually receiving the placing your performance deserves? The prize money at the areas is a joke anyway, surely no-one these days goes to the area soley to win the prize money? It's such a small amount it probably doesn't even cover your conductor's expenses for the extra rehearsals you've done.

I've said for years now - and I reckon most banders agree on this - ditch the prize money all together and lets have two adjudicators and hopefully some fairer results.

If you give us some options Craig (or anyone) I'm sure one of us will gladly add a poll.

My starter for 10:

1 Adj 1 Box
    2 Adj 1 Box
    3 Adj 1 Box
    2 Adj 2 Boxes
    3 Adj 3 Boxes

Anymore anyone?

EDIT: Stuff it done anyway! Let me know if there are any options I've missed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  15. super_sop

Cheers Ian

16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Seeing the issue of prize money here makes me wonder which is more important - the prize money or the prestige?

I am not the greatest fan of contesting (one of the many reasons I don't currently participate in the brass band world), one of the reasons being that there is absolutely no uniformity between the various areas - it is impossible for them all to be judged in the same way. Unless you have all the areas adjudicated by the same person/people you will always end up with conflicting results.
    At least if you have more than one adjudicator you don't have the potential problem of an adjudicator just not liking a particular interpretation.

17. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I've just posted this in another thread, but here goes...

I feel that there should be 2/3 adjudicators, preferably in seperate boxes (not always practical), as this is the most important contest in the calander year for all bands (apart for the 4 pre-qualifiers) and anomalies must be kept to a minimum.

I dont feel prize money is an issue - there are plenty of concert and contest oppertunities throughout the year.

18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Our adjudicators comments from the areas directly contradict each other in two or three places.

"...good, broad trombone sound at G..." and "...trombones hesitant and thin at G..." being a classic example. How are you supposed to learn and improve from that!?

One man, one box. At least then we know WHY he made the decisions he did, rather than the mess we've got to sift something out of now.

I'm not just saying this because I'm sore we finished bottom of our section. Anything but bottom for us was a bonus with the young band we've got. We need some more experince before we're ready for that level, because some of those bands are VERY good! I genuinely feel, from our point of view, that one set of clear, concise comments would have been a lot more helpful in strengthening out band than two contradictory ones.

19. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Two adjudicators, one box. Cuts down the time from the last band playing to the results (as adjudicators will be able to discuss a band's performance directly after they have played. This system was in operation at NEMBBA and I think it worked well.

20. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Fair enough, but what if your band had come a few places higher -you had just had one adjudicator and his comments were not correct and you had lost points for it? Surely in most cases having two is safer than one?
    As far as money goes im sure most bands would rather have no prize money but be in on the chance of going to the finals with more accurate and fair results!!

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The sooner we get 2 adjudicators for EVERY SECTION IN EVERY AREA THE BETTER.
    Its a utter joke now.
    I will admit our band did not play very well on Saturday at the midlands and our position was about right , but if some bands played well and feel they sholud have been a little higher then surely 2 in the box would have helped.
    Wheter it is seperate box's or both in same box
    WE NEED 2 AND QUICK!!!!!!:mad:
    National Finals as 2 for each section each year so why not the same for what as got to be the most IMPORTANT CONTEST OF THE YEAR for all the bands playing for get the OPEN ETC
    THE AREA IS YOUR MAIN CONTEST.
    I have wrote at least 3/4 letters to band press over last 4/5 years to to see if it gets noticed but ??? ALL AS BEEN DONE SO FAR, apart from the odd AREA.
    Is it worth getting a NATIONAL PETITION UP from all bands asking for 2 in the BOX FOR ALL SECTIONS AND ALL AREAS, because its the only way it will happen.
    If anyone from the BFBB is reading this PLEASE TAKE NOTE.:mad:
    I AM SURE THIS IS NOT THE ONLY VIEW WE WILL SEE ON THIS DEBATE ON HERE.

22. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

:-D