One of the world's most popular contemporary composers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Apr 4, 2012.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This evening's edition of Listen to the Band is nominated as a 'radio choice' in today's edition of The Times. Apparently, the programme will feature music by 'one of the world's most popular contemporary composers, Paul Lovatt-Cooper.'

All I know about the writer, Sarah Vine, is that she is married to the current Education Secretary. Let's hope her husband brings back compulsory music lessons to schools as soon as possible!
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

April Fool's Day appears to get longer each year.
  3. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

4. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Is he really? I always thought he wasn't really known much outside the banding world... could be wrong
  5. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Hang on a minute's a radio show called 'Listen to the Band' that is being previewed as the 'radio choice' and the fact is that PLC actually IS one of the world's most popular contemporary composers for brass bands isn't he? He certainly seems to be all over these days and I say good on him!!
  6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Quite right. I was just making a cheap point really. And because of the shock of seeing a mention of brass bands in the The Times.
  7. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

I thought Jim might have been indulging again and dreamt this but after a quick rummage through my neighbour's recycling bin this morning for yesterday's paper, I found the reference tucked away at the back of Times2.

Ms Vine is the beauty editor for The Times so I read all her stuff but I have never had her down as a brass band fan. I guess she has been nobbled by the publicity machine of the Sally Army since the ISB were the featured act. No mention of "blowing their own trumpets" or whippets either, so all good really.

Did anyone listen to it tho?