One of life's mysteries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TIMBONE, May 10, 2006.

1. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Well, here I am, a person old enough to buy a retirement apartment. Fifty five years of life experience, with only five years before my bus pass. Successful in some of my endevours, along with a fair amount of mistakes which I have had to rectify. So, there I am, minding my own business, when I am suddenly aware that something is happening on Friday 19th May, something which makes my anthropological eyes and ears tingle with excitement. The mystery is, how can some people not like what is beginning a week on Friday. I am of course speaking about

BIG BROTHER 2006

:biggrin: :clap: :eek: ;)

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Because it's rubbish television. It turns strange people in to stranger nasty people - and that's just the contestants. Goodness knows what it does to the people that actually watch it :eek:.

I'm going to hibernate. ;)

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm with MRSH on this. What's even worse than the rubbish being on TV in the first place, will be the constant updates on the radio and in newspapers!

4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

.....and on tmp :biggrin:

5. The other son

The other son Member

it is poor television

Lets watch people do nothing. I mean, its a sad state of affairs when you have to take time out of your life to watch someone else's.

Its not even themed. I'll admit, I'm not totally against reality TV - I watched the WWF thing "tough enough" when I was younger, but that had big brother and wrestling tryouts etc. Nowadays I watch "Ultimate Fighter", which for those who dont know is the same kind of deal, except they're offered a contract with the UFC. But they have to literally fight for it.

These ones have a little something else, but big brother? It just looks so dull. Lets watch someone pull the bits of dead skin and mess from the side of their toenails. Lets watch someone sleepily sort themselves out as they amble into the sitting room.
    You want to see that? Watch "Monkey Business" on animal planet.

Actually - watch "monkey business" anyway - it's hilarious.

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My biggest bugbear with the various BB versions is that they seem to have double standards: they go all out to court controversy, then whenever things get interesting sound, pictures or both are cut, leaving you with a screen image that hints that something world-shattering is going on, but you're not party to it.

7. :sup I'm with Timbone on this. How can you not like Big Brother?! ARE YOU ALL MADDDD?:eek: Sort yourselves out and get tuned in to C4 like I shall be doing.:clap:

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'd rather cut my heart out with a spoon! Probably more entertaining and over quicker!! :cool:

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

By coincidence one of our graduates at work was talking about a travel route and said East Angular. We all burst out laughing because its not the first time he's said it. So one wag, remembering Big Brother's Jade said the same thing, dug up this classic exchange.

This is why BB is addictive television:-

"Spencer: "You know you see those people in Venice standing on the back of gondolas, pushing it around?"
    Jade: "They don't do that on the Thames though, do they?"
    Spencer: "No. I don't work on the Thames. I work in Cambridge."
    Jade: "Is there not the Thames there?"
    Spencer: "No!"
    Jade: "Is there a river called the Cambridge river?"
    Spencer: "Yeah, it's called the Cam."
    Jade: "Really? You swear? I only thought there was the Thames. I thought that was the main one in London."
    Spencer: "It is. I don't live in London."
    Jade: "I'm confused. I thought Cambridge was in London. I knew Birmingham weren't in London."
    Spencer: "Would you like to go and tell the group what you just said?"
    Jade: "No..."
    Spencer: "Cambridge is a city."
    Jade: "But we've got a city in London."
    Spencer: "Yes. This city is called London. And there's different parts of it. Cambridge is a city."
    Jade: "Of where? Kent?"
    Jade: "Well England's a country, London's a city, Bermondsey's just a throw-off. Now where are you? What's your country, and what's your things?"
    Spencer: "What country am I from? England. The city is called Cambridge, the county Cambridgeshire."
    Jade: "So not Kent then?"
    Spencer: "Nooooo.... The region is called East Anglia."
    Jade: East Angular? That's abroad. Is there not a place called East Angular abroad?"
    Spencer: "Jade, have you been taking the stupid pills again?"
    Jade: "Every time people tell me they work in East Angular, I actually think they're talking about near Tunisia and places like that. Am I thick?"
    Spencer: "Well, I hate to say it, but you are."
    Jade: "Cos Scottish and Irish and all that comes under England, doesn't it?"
    Spencer: "No... They come under Great Britain. Scotland and Wales have their own flags. Northern Ireland and Ireland are different."
    Jade: "So they're not together? Where's Berlin?"
    Spencer: "Germany...""

10. I'll take you up on that, the minute I switch on Big Brother.. you get your spoon and get digging your heart out... See which is over first.;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    life
    person
    something
    amount
    life experience
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ahh, but you're forgetting that as soon as you turn on Big Brother, you'll be Brain Dead and not know who won! :wink:

13. Why's that then? For watching something on tv that I enjoy, and it gives me a laugh?:tongue: You should try having a giggle sometime;)

14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I hope by that you mean a blunt and rusty spoon?

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Don't be stupid. That'd really hurt! :eek: