One for the Ladies!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Daisy Chain, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain New Member

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a long time so apologies that my first post is a very selfish one! I am an actor by trade and a Brass Bander in my spare time but occasionally the 2 things merge.... Anyone who goes to the theatre will know that actor-musician shows are very popular at the mo.

Anyway, my question is: has anyone discovered a brand of lipstick that you can wear whilst playing?!!! (It's not vanity - it's my job!!) I've tried Max Factor Lipfinity and, although it stays on, it clogs up the mouthpiece (and therefore the instrument) horribly and it is hard to play 'cleanly'. The most success I've had is with a lip / cheek stain by Benefit which has no effect on my playing but it is not dark enough for stage work. So if anyone has seen another form of 'stain' that might be worth trying or any other suggestions I'd be eternally grateful. The violinists in the cast always have beautiful glossy lips and I'd hate to be responsible for the reputation we brass players are the unglamourous ones ;) !!

Thanx, Daisy Chain xx

2. Jamie

Jamie Member

Er... not sure if it will be heavy duty enough, but that lipcote stuff works ok if you've got the patience to let it dry... Beyond that, I dont know! Doesn't it smear it all over your face?!:confused:

3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I was going to start a similar thread but for a different reason!

I've recently brought some Maybelline Super Stay lip gloss, its in two parts, the lip gloss then the lip balm stuff that goes over the top.

It's great stuff and stays on no matter what you attach your lips too, so i reckon it might be worth a try?

The trouble i'm having with it is getting it off in the morning! So if anyone has any ideas for that it would be a great help!

4. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Boots No.7 do a similar product, and yes it seems to withstand everything barring a nuclear attack! Eye make-up remover seems to work reasonably well to get it off, why don't you give that a try?

5. lucretia

lucretia Member

Eeuw! Aren't you meant to take it off before you go to bed!!!

6. barrytone

barrytone Member

Apply a good quality light moisturiser beneath it, such at Clinique Lip Balm, and it should come off a treat with any make-up remover and/or cleanser. It shouldn't, however, smudge off until you remove it. Works for me!

Playing wise, people who know tell me that it also helps to use a plastic mouthpiece, something to do with the lipstick not attaching itself to plastic as well as metal. Can't get on with those plastic mouthpieces though, seems to be a personal thing.

7. Daisy Chain

Daisy Chain New Member

Thanks guys, you can spend a fortune trying different things and never using again so good to have feedback about products tried and tested :clap: . My mum suggested Lipcote but since she is definitely not a brass player I never tried it. Will certainly give it a go and the Maybelline or No 7 one now.

As for the plastic mouthpieces, they just seem a bit 'Fisher Price' to me - it'll take some convincing!!

8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

If it doesn't come off the morning after what makes you think its going to come off before i go to bed?!

Lately when i've been crawling in at 3.30am taking off make up has been the last thing on my mind!

Hope some of the suggestions work for you :) Keep us posted.

9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Lancome "Juicy Tubes" lip glosses are really heavy duty. And very yummy they are too!

10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

But surely that would be messy!! :tongue: They're very sticky!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Bander
    brass players
    spare time
    long time
    cheek stain