One for the Girlies...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welshraz, May 26, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

I need some assistance in the clothing department. I will competeing in July at a solo competition at the RSAMAD in Glasgow, and I need some ideas an what I should wear. It's not going to be too formal but I need to look tidy (Ha!!) and I want to make a good impression. All ideas greatly welcomed as I have never done anything like this before!
  2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If it is open adjudication the short skirt low cut top stockings and high heals
  3. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

We actually had a lesson on this in uni in preparation for our recitals!

First and foremost wear something you're going to feel comfortable in. There's no point getting a new outfit and shoes etc. if you're worried something will fall down/you fall off your heels or something!

A dress is probably a good option - we're not talking ballgowns here but just something smart. Preferably one with straps so there's no danger of it falling down! Oh, and make sure it's loose enough so you can breathe in it. I think skirts/dresses would be preferable to trousers on stage. Wear heels if you can (although again only if you feel ok doing so). If you've got long hair, try to put it up so it doesn't get in your face when you play, it looks better on stage too.

Whatever you choose to wear in the end, practise playing in it a couple of times so you're used to it by the competition!
  4. welshraz

welshraz Member

Is that you wear?? ;)
  5. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

Wear something comfortable. tidy and not too tight! espesially (Ican't spell!) around the neck if you're playing sop ;)
  6. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

wear black:) if you can, always looks good:)
  7. I agree thats skirts look better on stage, but make sure that its comfortable, just below knee length looks good, but not too long u trip over or too short the adjudicator has an eyeful so to speak. Dresses are good. Black is classy, and definitely dark colours. Bright colours, just don't work. Small heels. Hope this helps, make sure it's comfy though whatever.
  8. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

i think wear trousers or a semi long skirt like Pocket Euph said (dont know your real name sorry:p)
  9. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I'm not too keen on black for solo performances personally. I know it looks smart but it's a bit 'safe' - everybody wears it!
  10. Drewdan

Drewdan Member

any suggestions? white also looks fairly normal/smart...oooo wear a funky tie with it!
  11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'd say a dark colour. Dark blue or black even... very classy.
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Mostly, be comfortable with what you're wearing.

If you accentuate a black outfit with (tastefully) colourful accessories, it will look smart but not boring.
  13. welshraz

welshraz Member

Thank you all for your ideas! I have settled on something that fits in with almost all suggestions (except the short skirt one. Believe me, it wouldn't improve my chances!). I have chosen a black wrap dress with a subtle green pattern on it, to wear over black trousers with some green wedges and matching jewlery. Smart and classic with a bit of a funky edge I think (or I hope!). I have to wear trousers as I wouldn't feel comfy in a skirt.

Thanks again!