One for the Bass Trombonists

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Parp, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Parp

Parp Member

Despite being a cornet player for hmm, a few years, my favourite instrument has always been the bass trombone.

I love to hear it powering through the band when going at full throttle but equally when played softly (perhaps as a trombone trio) it gives a lovely depth to the section.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyones favourite pieces of music was from a bass trombone perspective. It can be as simple as one phrase that you look forward to in a piece of music to an entire tour-de-force for bass trombone.

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of my favourites:

Perspectives (Robert Redhead) (Salvation Army)
    The finale of The Kingdom Triumphant (Eric Ball) (Salvation Army)
    The transcription of Circenses from Roman Festivals by Respighi
    Diversions on a Bass Theme (Lloyd)

Over to you...

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

In the Horn solo of Purcell Variations!
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Masquerade... I like to see 'em sweat! hehe
  4. Bass in the Ballroom - my solo - on trom of course, stupid E-flat bass
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

English Heritage for me.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not a lot of experience on bass trombone in contesting music, although I seem to remember some decent bits in "Four corners of the World".

Memories of playing bass trom in SA bands include guesting on one occasion, and finding the first piece put up in practice was "New Frontier" - complete with two-bar solo! One I particularly enjoyed for the effect the bass trom adds to the ensemble - although it's a killer to play - is Bob Redhead's "Reflections in Nature" (good test of lung-capacity!)
  7. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

What about all those parts in Paganini Variations! Great effect!
  8. Various pieces spring to mind really:

Journey into Freedom (when we get a bit of the tune near the end in particular, very sweet)

Facets of Glass (1st movement)

Music for a Festival (big fat low notes cutting thru in climax to the 2nd movement, very nice)

Divertimento has a cracking Bass Trom part as well (good job as we've just finished hammering it for 2 months straight!)

The Mill on The Cliff

Bohemian Rhapsody

plenty more for marches but those 4 are my personal faves

PS Number 68 in the green carol books! :wink:
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

1) Most of "Land of the Long White Cloud" as played by Paul Applegarth with Egham Band at Folkestone.

2) Anything played by Paul Applegarth ...
  10. jonhooperbasstrom

jonhooperbasstrom New Member

I have many favs One great piece which is the hardest i have ever seen for Bass Trom is a piece by Oliver Weaspi called Land's End. The bass trom cadenza is the hardest i have ever seen. I also like Blitz, Harmony Music, New Jerusalum, Revolation and many more.

What did u think of the Bass Trom on the Area Recording by Mount Charles of Divertimento notsosilentbob??

Other Great piece's are Pines of Rome, Procession to the Minster, Suite Gothique and many more.
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i thought it was poo.. why who did it? ;) ;)
  12. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I know its not brass band but Alpine Symphony, R. Strauss?
  13. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

I endorse that!

Another good one is the bass trombone solo in last year's finals piece "...all the flowers of the mountain..." especially with the Black Dyke bass trombone bell directly facing you 'launching' the low Bb with all the power of a weapon of mass destruction. :D I changed seat shortly afterwards.
  14. Can't say I've heard it mate. I was given it on cd but never got round to listening to it, due to too many rehersals I think :redface: Is it you by any chance? If so I shall dig it out and give it a go post haste :cool:

Suite Gothique is a good shout as well though, cracking piece.

We are working up Pines of Rome as well at the moment for our concert programme - BIIIGGGG blow! :eek:
  15. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

The last few bars of Contest Music are fun. I also like the mini cadenza in Epic Symphony. And the very first note of Montage.

And I know I'm probably going to incur the wrath of many, but I thought there were some really effective bass trom parts in Prague - some of the stuff in the 2nd movement is nice, and so are the swells at the beginning of the 3rd (Gotta breathe through your ears though...)

Kids soon switch off to a teacher who shouts all the time, and it is the same with bass trombonists. I hate listening to performances where it seems the bass trom player has two dynamics - on or off. I'm talking about fairly high level banding here too. I much prefer those pieces and those performances that give the bass trom chance to just poke through the texture from time to time to add that little bit of sparkle (not edge...sparkle) to the sound.

The bass trom pedal F's in Paganini are a perfect example - I love the way that, when played properly, the sound emerges from nowhere and then disappears. It doesn't sound like that too often though.
  16. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

We are doing Paganini at the moment and our bass trom is nailing those! It's fantastic when it works!
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Seconded Gareth... unfortunately he's playing behind me on BBb Bass at the moment... I tell you what... He don't 'arf pick on t'horns :(
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

there's a bit in London Overture that I always quite liked... always seems incredibly powerful...
  19. Parp

Parp Member

Heh, so you heard that too did you? I was out of the firing line but he still got my attention - certainly the best on the day!
  20. Lotta

Lotta Member

It has got to be Elsas Procession right at the end... it gets me every time. The goose bumps pop up and its just a fantastic sound!! :)