One Finger or More ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by iancwilx, Sep 19, 2011.

How Many Fingers?

1. One finger

1 vote(s)
  2. A few fingers

1 vote(s)
  3. Both hands

12 vote(s)
  1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I was just thinking that I do all my typing with one finger, middle finger, right hand.
    My speed is quite reasonable for a one digit prodder, but I really wish I could touch type like Mrs W.
    I've tried, but even after persevering I find it is totally beyond my learning capacity.

Just wondered how you folks out there get around the keyboard?

- Mr Wilx
  2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I was given a typing game called Mavis Beacon.
    Due to my fat fingers and small keys, my keyboard used to be fluent in Swahili!
    Had to adapt Mavis Beacon slightly to suit me, but I can type reasonably well with 2 hands now.
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I tend to type with both unless I am eating, then I revert to one finger per letter
  4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

it could be worse guys..... some of the squaddies I work with seem to type with their elbows!!
  5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

OK what does this say then?

,.zx./'Z|m,. /';[za\.xc ./'Z|,.;./'gh';[/qsld :tongue:

PS I got the smiley in by accident ;)
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I once had pretentions to an office job so taught myself typing and shorthand. I can type better than I can shorthand, thankfully! :)
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's worth trying to use more than one finger if possible, Wilky. Ok, I work in IT so spend more time at the keyboard than most - but tapping with one finger can very quickly result in RSI. Plus if the whole weight of your hand and arm is behind each key-press (if you get a tapping or thumping noise with each key stroke) your finger joints and tendons are taking something like 500% of the impact you would by finger pressure alone!

To put this into perspective, imagine how much harder it would be to play a scale on your bass if you didn't rest the palm of your hand against the bow of tubing behind the valves. This is effectively what you're doing every time you type. (And a bass has felts to dull the impact, which a standard membrane keyboard does not.)

I know a lot of folk talk about 'Health and Safety gone mad' when it comes to typing-related injury because it seems so slight an impact compared to say, using a rivet gun or a road drill. But you can type constantly for a lot longer than you can drill holes in roads, so it can be a source of serious trouble if you regularly over-stress your joints and tendons.

A game like Mavis Beacon, as Kev has already mentioned, is a great help. I had one of those when I was younger and it stood me in good stead. Such that I spend roughly the whole day typing one thing or another, have done for a number of years, and so far exhibit no ill symptoms from it.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Interesting that Andi ~ In view of your comments I've decided to persevere and force myself to use both hands.
    I really do thump the keyboard, so loudly that Mrs W. complains she can't concentrate on anything when I'm pounding the keys.
    Right tmpers, watch out for tpyos ~ !!

- Mr Wilx
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We played Mavis Beacon when we were younger, My mum was a office worker and recognised the fact we were growing up in to a PC literate world. She tried to get us to learn to use both hands to type. . I'm no genius but I get by pretty well.
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Good stuff. I guess as bandsmen we need to look after our valve-fingers particularly (except those pesky trombophones) but it's been good advice to folk in our office and none of them are banders.

You'll also make the membrane on your keyboard last longer, so will save a few quid on replacements. ;)