Once Upon a Time in the West

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hippocampus abdominalis, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

I've bought an arrangement of Once Upon a Time in the West, by John Mortimer (the one with the harmonica part). Unfortunately, due to my own stupidity I've ended up with the wind band version. I was wondering if anyone has a set of the brass band parts I could borrow/have a copy of to save me having to rewrite everything, and also to avoid having to explain to the rest of the band exactly how stupid I am (not that they don't know that already).

Cheers,

Phil.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    harmonica part
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    one
    band
  3. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Kinda related - I love Morricone's music...
    What other titles of his have been arranged for Brass Band?
    Gabriel's Oboe; "Lloyd George"...what else?

4. Not a great deal, come to think of it. Off the top of my head there's really just The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Ray Farr, I think), a couple of arrangements of the theme tune to Once Upon a Time in the West as a soprano/singer solo and then a few compilations of several tunes.

Given how prolific the guy was, you might have expected there to be a bit more out there for brass band, but that's about all I can think of.

5. iRyan

iRyan Member

I played The Man with a Harmonica back when I was with Shepherds Group Brass Band, dunno if you could give them a bell and ask if they have it :p

6. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Phil,

Won't they let you exchange it? I suppose maybe not, you could copy first. But my favorite music store (besides mine) in the US will let you exchange it in 30 days.

Other than that, I would be glad to help transpose it :clap:

Jim

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Not sure I can help on the brass band side of things, but I might know someone who would be willing to take the windband set off your hands (yes, they would pay) - if that would help.
    Is the harmonica part vital, or is it doubled in the band?

8. iRyan

iRyan Member

Aye it is vital, it plays on its own at the start, then pretty much all the way through it, and on it's own with horns at the end :p We just used a keyboard with a pitch bender to play it!

9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Come on all you clever arrangers out there!
    How about Deborah's Theme ( Once Upon a Time in America ) and the trumpet solo from A Fistful of Dollars for starters?

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Arranging such things would be a blast. But paying the royalties is NOT. I have stuck to arranging public domain pieces and original compositions. Simply because the cost of royalties (in some circumstances) is high. Now if you are a "big name" and have assured sales, well then you might risk paying upfront knowing it will sell.

Is it any different in the UK?

Jim