'On this day' quiz!

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by Dave Payn, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

To add something extra to the On This Day thread I started in April, I shall occasionally produce a little quiz reflecting events that happened on the relevant day. So, for December 7th (other tMPers, please feel free to join in by adding your own 'on this day' quizzes on here!)

1. Which jazz trumpeter gained US citizenship in 1998 after a six year struggle?

2. Which Italian composer was born on this day in 1863? Famous nowadays for only one major work, an extract of which has proved popular with soprano cornettists everywhere!

3. Which American orchestra gave its first concert on this day in 1842?

4. Which famous London 'serious' music venue was opened on this day in 1732?

5. Which actor set a world swimming record for the 150 yards on this day in 1925?

6. Who stepped down as Labour leader and made an Earl a few hours later on this day in 1955?

No need to PM me, just a bit of fun! :)
  2. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

1 = Arturo Sandoval
    2 = Mascagni
    3 = New York Philharmonic
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

5. Johnny Weismuller
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

1,2,3 and 5 all answered correctly! Just 4 and 6 to go! :)
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

For questions 4 and 6, I'll give you until around 2pm UK time tomorrow. Then... all will be revealed if no further answers are forthcoming! :)
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

6. According to Google, it was Clement Attlee
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

4. The Royal Opera House
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

All correct!
  9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I was going to ask what the prize was, and then I became a bit frightened that you might actually come up with something . . . :D
  10. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

hello friends,
    i have sat up for a good while racking my brain for an excellent question about today 8th december. i wanted a question that wouldn't be easy just to find on google or another search engine. so here's the one i came up with.

on this day in history 8th december, this very day in the year of our lord 2004, what did i have for breakfast?
  11. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

1 - In 1987. An England test match against Pakistan halted in a row between the Umpire and which England Cricket Captain?

2 - Who was the president of the USA in 1975?

3 - Which 'lost' poet was born on this day in 1608?

4 - On this day in history, Spain became a Republic, but what was the year?

5 - In 1941, China declared War on which 3 Countires?

THat should keep ya busy for a bit[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/font][/font]
  12. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

1 Mike Gatting (who shouted at the umpire, Shakoor Rana, after being accused of cheating)

2 Gerald Rudolph Ford (having survived 2 assassination attempts earlier in the year)

3 John Milton, author of 'Paradise lost'

4 Shouldn't this have been "Spain became a republic for the second time....". 1931 (to 1939)

5 presumably the obvious 'axis of evil' countries, Japan, Italy and Germany.
  13. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG]

14. ronnie_the_lizard

A few more then. On this day (December 9th):

1) a major agreement was signed between British and Irish Prime Ministers and Several Northern Ireland party leaders, though not including Ian Paisley (who thought it was 'selling out'). All sounds rather familiar, but which agreement and which year?

2) Postmaster General Ernest Marples launched a campaign to get people to post christmas cards early, and suggesting people should "pack carefully with strong string". Which year?

3) Shipyard electrician and 'Solidarity' founder Lech Walesa was elected the first president of Poland. Which year?

4) Virginia Katherine McMath made her broadway debut in 'Top Speed'. What was her stage name and which year?

5) Which famous poem was first published on this day in 1854?
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

5: Charge of the Light Brigade?
  16. ronnie_the_lizard

Correct for number 5.

The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, was first published in 'The Examiner' in 1854.

You are alowed to use Google to help with the others if you need to ;)
  17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Okay... Alphabetti Touretti Spaghetti (where you can make as many swear words as possible from the contents of the tin, and when finally bored of 'pasta profanities', eat the spaghetti when it's got cold)
  18. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

no it was corn flakes. but you win david, for the closest reply