On The Scrounge.......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Anno Draconis, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Hi there folks,

On 17 May I will be again risking life and limb - well, life and flab, anyway - on the Great Manchester Run, 10 arduous and sweaty kilometres in the tropical Manchester heat. Those of you who know me will realise that I'm built for comfort and NOT for speed, and may be wondering what lies behind this uncharacteristic burst of healthy exercise.

Well apart from the challenge of finishing it, I'm doing it (like most people) to raise money for charidee. At the end of last year my wife's mum, one of the healthiest people I've ever met, was diagnosed with cancer - happily it's treatable, and so far all is going according to plan. However it brought home to me just how random cancer can be, and how quickly and completely the various forms of it can devastate lives.

So I'm here seeking sponsorship - I have on online sponsorship page where you can sponsor me by credit or PayPal, it's very easy and if you're a taxpayer and include your details they can even reclaim some money from that grasping swine in No.11 to add to your donation!

Cancer Research UK reckon that around 1 in 3 people will develop some form of cancer during their life, so the chances are you know someone affected by one of the many forms. It causes a quarter :eek: of all deaths in the UK; every two minutes a person is diagnosed with cancer in the UK and every 4 minutes somone dies from it. You can make a difference to these statistics :clap:

Many thanks for reading, and I hope you can spare a few quid to sponsor me!
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Hi Andrew,
    good luck with your run, in a very worthwhile cause. I have given you a bit of a start!!
  3. Anno Draconis

Many thanks Ian, much appreciated! :D
  4. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

Hi Andrew

I've sponsored you as well, all the best on the big day

5. Mr Baker, have you been pinching my slogan! ;)

I'll drop a few quid your way in the next couple of days!
  6. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I am a statistic! Good luck to you, Andy -my contribution's been added.
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Good Luck Andy
  8. Anno Draconis

Thank you folks, much appreciated! :tup
  9. Anno Draconis

A quick *bump* disguised as a training update.....:oops:;)

Went for a 4-and-a-bit mile run on Saturday, which I did in 33 minutes. Haile Gebrselassie is said to be shaking in his boots, although some reports indicate this might be with laughter rather than fear. Nonetheless, I was quite pleased with myself! I was hoping to do the whole distance (10km, about 6.2 miles) in 50 minutes, which now seems unlikely, but in my defence I missed about a month of training through illness and being away. Still on target for a PB though :tup

Many, many thanks to those who have already sponsored me - there is still plenty of time for those who are waiting for pay day ;), as my internet page will be available until about 6-8 weeks AFTER the event. Sponsorship total up to about £226 at the time of writing, with an overall target of £500.

Please do try and give something, it's an awesomely worthy cause and being breathtakingly fat and lazy I need the motivation, frankly.:biggrin:
  10. Anno Draconis

Done it!

Got round in 56'32", which although it was outside my original 50 minute target still beats my previous best time by about a minute :D, so I'm sitting at home aching but smug. Not bad for a committed and life long Salad Dodger :biggrin:. If anyone wants to check up on me you can go to www.greatrun.org, and enter the event and my race number (17625) in the "results" page!

You will be delighted to know that it's not too late to donate money to this exceptionally worthy cause - my "justgiving.com" site will still be available for donations for about the next 8 weeks. I've just passed my fundraising target of £500, so I'm going to try and get to £600 before the page closes. Every little helps, even if everyone who reads this just donates a few quid.

I've done my bit, and by god I'm going to pay for it tomorrow when I can't climb stairs unaided ;), so please help ease my pain by giving some money to Cancer Research via www.runningsponsorme.org/andybaker - many thanks!!

One other thing - to those who say "I could never do that", trust me you could. The variety of shapes, sizes and fitness levels out on the course was amazing, from whippet-like vest-wearing superfit club runners to unfit slobs like me to people in silly costumes and people being pushed in wheelchairs. Adrenaline gets you at least 25% further than you could otherwise manage, and there were thousands of spectators lining the route and cheering.

For an old cynic like me, it's a refreshing and welcome confirmation that there are plenty of people out there prepared to put themselves out for the benefit of others; looking out down Chester Road at the sea of runners and knowing I was part of it was an exciting and inspiring feeling, and the exhilaration of getting across the finish line made it all worth while. Despite the fact that I ache like hell at the moment, I know I'll be back next year and I would encourage anyone who is even contemplating something similar to go for it. :tup
  11. Anno Draconis

A quick update - I've just sent my cheque off to Cancer Research and the final total was £724 including all online donations (but excluding the offline Gift Aid which will probably add another £20-£30). Many, many thanks to those who sponsored me and helped me beat my £500 target for such a worthy cause.

There's still time to make a donation over t'internet - my sponsorship page will be "live" for a few weeks yet and the money goes straight to Cancer Research, any additional donations would be very gratefully received!

Better get training for next year, I suppose :biggrin: