On Alderley Edge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Seedhouse, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi guys, just recently bought the Music of Peter Graham- Black Dyke CD at the National Youth Champs so that I could listen to a few of Peter Grahams testpieces :rolleyes: , and i've really enjoyed listening to On Alderley Edge! (as well as the rest of the CD!) :D Think it's just become one of my favourite testpieces!!! :clap:
    Just wanted to know what others thought of the piece, and if anyone knows who was playing solo Euph at the time of recording? Bob Childs? Whoever it was sounded awesome in all the pieces! :D
  2. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Im not sure whos playing euph on that. When was it recorded? But its a great piece. Ive got the Brighouse winning performance from the 1997 Nationals, think David Childs was on euph at the time (please correct me if im wrong). Not a nice opening for cornets though, muted top c's - ouch! :biggrin:
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Definitely Bob Childs on the Dyke cd ;)

You should have been there at Regent Hall the day before the contest when Peter Graham had a scratch band as part of his presentation: he talked about various options he had when composing it, and got them to play a section in the key he'd originally considered - up a semitone, hence top E's rather than Eb's (I bet there were a few players glad he changed it ;) )
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I love the piece.... espcially the slow movement....

Peter writes some gorgeous slow movements! :)
  5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

isn't that the testpiece "The Holy Well" euphonium solo comes from? thats a gorgeous solo, I love it :)
  6. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

I've got that same CD, only bought it for On Alderley Edge (it's my all time favourite test piece). Must say though the sop is how shall I say......somewhat strident at the end :rolleyes: but still a great performance.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Erm,.... about the Black Dyke CD ... my disc has the channels reversed (meaning that the troms come out the left speaker and the cornets out of the right). Anyone else got a similar production flaw?
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I can't say that I'd noticed that, but I do think it is not one of the best recordings Dyke produced around that time: it seems as if the production was a little rushed, with less than their customary attention to detail, and the track listing is up the creek on my copy. I suspect it was produced in a hurry to be ready for release at the Finals.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I noticed the fault immediately when listening to it! I had to re-edit my copy to correct that and a few other things. Nothing was officially posted about it!
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yes it is...
    Brenden played it in the BBC Young Brass Musician final as well :)
    Beautiful piece

11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Not sure 100% but I think it may have been Michael Dodd...David Childs was definately there the Nationals after that.....
  12. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

I think it was Michael Dodd in 1997 who won with B&R and the david Childs in 1998.

Great peice though

Love the rep solo at the end (its all going well so far Mr Rep over to you!!)
    and also as with a lot of peter Graham the descending Bass run downs at the end (Essence of Time as well)
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I love this piece as well, although I haven't heard it recently! Saying that I think a band played it last year at the Preston Contest (or maybe I was imagining it!) :confused: