Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I apologise if there is already a 2008 olympics thread but I couldn't find one.

So what does everybody think so far?

IMHO the opening ceremony was off the chart (a bit scary at times), but well done!

Women's beach volleyball has captured my attention a bit.
    Haven't seen much footie yet as we don't get much coverage over here.

My personal highlight has to be the comeback the US relay team did to beat the French!

Other feelings, higlights....looking forward to 2012 in London?
  2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

That relay was good. GBR swimming medals were brilliant, we never get anything in swimming, so gold and bronze in the same race is excellent. The women's road race in the cycling was very exciting, with a good result for GBR as well.
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Canstand the Olymoics. Sorry guys. The only trouble, the mate i live house share with has the day off. So i think i be out all day!!! Thank god for footie!!!
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes that swim was a pretty impressive comeback for the Septics. Our girl swimmers did well too. Shame those Firework footprints at the opening were faked. I spend far too much time watching the Olympics, still I can always start practicing again in two weeks time. :)
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Thanks very much to our Chinese correspondent there :rolleyes:
    I be thinking the Olympics are a fantastic spectacle, just watched our canoist get a silver :clap:.
    I should be working but the monsoons are making that difficult at present.
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not quite true. Britons have been relatively successful in the pool over the years.

I like the swimming, diving and judo events but can't stand athletics.
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Exciting end to the 3-day eventing. Another bronze for GBR.
  8. DublinBass

Quite a bit is being made over her about members of China's female gymnastic team being 13 & 14 (when the set age is 16)...is this getting across to the other side of the pond, or is it just sour grapes (for finishing second in the all-around) for us?
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Hasn't really been an issue here. One of them looks about 7. You've just won gold and silver in the individual all-around competition.

Looking forward to the cycling where we should do very well. Also there's the nerve-wracking experience of watching Paula Radcliffe in the marathon to come.
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

The stuff that these Gymnasts can do is just mind boggling to me. How come they haven't already killed themselves getting to that standard because there must have been a long period of falling off beams, missing bars, running straight in to the vaulting thingy, landing face first after a triple summersault with double fandangely bit at breakneck speed and all that stuff!!!!

At very least you'd think they'd be a mass of bruises. It defy's logic to me. What a talent. It's an accomplishment if I touch my toes!! :-?

Incidentally, even though I went off him drastically following his Ken Bigley comment, anyone who wants a laugh should see Billy Connolly's stand up bit where he's having a go at Gymnastics judges that haven't seen their own feet in years, but who still knock points off a young lass's score because her foot moved when she landed having just done a quadruple double twisting summersault with triple toe loop and double exle twist in mid air. It's hysterical.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Another gold in the Cycling. Well done them.
  12. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

The opening ceremony was absolutely brilliant. The best i've ever seen. Interesting what london will do??
  13. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Apparently it will be shorter as this was too long for the athletes.
  14. Womens Beach Volleyball in the rain - Phwoar!!!!!!!!!!

We won't win but who cares!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Really pleased I got up at stupid o'clock to watch the swimming. Phelps somehow came from absolutely nowhere to win Gold 7, then Becky Addlington absolutely destroyed the field in the 800Free, breaking the oldest world record in the process.
  16. DublinBass

O wathced them at normal o'clock here...replay after replay...I still can;t believe Phelps won #7!

Also saw some more women's beach Vball....but no rain ;-)
  17. steve butler

Fantastic Row by the GB coxless four!
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And the women rowed well too. And the cycling's looking good too. I don't want to go and play at a flower show. I want to stay home and watch telly.
  19. steve butler

Wow!!! How good is Usain Bolt! what a performance
  20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Usain Bolt is off the chart.

He and many other athletes would have been told in years gone past, that they were not ideal to run a 100 meters as they were too tall. The man is like a mchine, and I am pleased to say has had more drug tests in the run up to the games than Christine Ohuorugu missed to get her ban.

Without the show boating the World / Olympic record would have been around 9.60 or even less. I think it's a big shame and somewhat of a con to the public that the WR wans't posted in such a way that it would stay for at least 10 years. Bolt will now be able to chip away and earn $1 million dollars each time he breaks it,

******Slightly off topic warning*****
    In the good old days before a broken world record was financially rewarded. The time/distance were got and stuck. Sergie Bubka was the first athlete, to ensure that the world record went up by 1cm a time. He got his first world record on the pole vault at about 5.85m There was a small glitch were a Frenchman took it away but Bubka got it back with the next jump!, and then from 6.05m the WR improve by 1cm a go up to 6.14m. in practice Bubka was said to have cleared 6.35m but he run out of competitions to achieve his real mark in the event.

*****Back on topic********

I am now looking forward to the 200m were Bolt is about 1/8 to win the Gold. If he breaks Michael Johnson world record, then that will be the greatest sprinting performance of all time.