Olympic National Anthem

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by trumpetmike, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

Where's that like button!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe we should separate Scotland's tally as well? ;O)

3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is an interview with Philip Sheppard in today's Times. Interesting points include the fact that he was given just 3 months to research, arrange and score all 205 anthems and 6 days to record them all with the LPO. Editing included cutting Uruguay's 6 minute marathon down to 1 minute, and having to loop Uganda's anthem, which is only 9 bars long, to make it long enough for the flag to get to the top of the flagpole (he needn't have bothered - they haven't won any gold medals).

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

If it was such a rush why didn't he just leave our anthem alone?

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

According to an item on the BBC website, the 'ta da da da' bit was not in the original version (which I can well believe), so the version we are all familiar with is itself a corruption of the original anyway. So there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19180559

6. GJG

GJG Active Member

Quite. Doesn't excuse the rest of it, though, does it ... ?

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm with him! If Mr S. says it's inept so be it! :)

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Uganda have just won a gold medal in the Men's Marathon. Looking forward to hearing the 8 or 9 bars looped, so that the anthem is long enough to see the flag to the top.

9. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I can't actually believe I'm about to say this but after hearing it for the last two weeks I've actually grown to quite like it:redface:.
    (Incidentally, one of my housemates from uni, who actually happens to be a euphonium player, was the man responsible for recording every one of the anthems- I think he did rather a good job!)

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

The loop certainly caught out Stephen Kiprotich - his hand went up to wave to the corwd after nine bars, and came down sheepishly when he heard the muted refrain!

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

...because group 4 securicor didn;t meet their contract obligations?