Olympic National Anthem

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by trumpetmike, Aug 5, 2012.

1. GJG

GJG Active Member

2nd strain, bar 4 leading into bar 5:
    Melody: C (dotted crotchet), B (quaver), A (crotchet), B.
    Bass: F#, E, D, E. (all crotchets).

(Incidentally, according to my ears, the version that was played at this afternoon's cycling gold presentation isn't quite the same as the Youtube version referenced earlier in the thread. Perhaps that was an early "take" ... )

OK, one could argue that the B quaver is a passing note, but according to strict rules that doesn't matter - it's still wrong.

And, TBH it's a classic example of why the rules don't exist solely to satisfy dusty academic correctness; the sequence just "sounds" clumsy and weak.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

I wonder how many thousands he made out of it ? supprising how many noses get into the trough sometimes !!
  3. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

4. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Lol yeah that needs re looking at, sorry didn't see that :p can we just have a new anthems? any suggestitions?
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I can usually detect when Mr S is pulling our legs. On this occasion, I'm not sure!
  6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Not! I think it sounds like the work of a poor GCSE student, who only has one ear - and that's his deaf one....

They obviously asked the wrong Philip. :)
  7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

On the other hand, only 38 countries have won gold so far, so that's 166 of his arrangements we haven't had to endure to date. Every cloud has a silver lining!
  8. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Least they didn't ask Jedward or NDubz or Tinchy Strider or someone like that to do it....
  9. ben16

ben16 Member

if everyone thought like this, how could progress ever come about?
  10. GJG

GJG Active Member

Sorry, I don't follow ... ?
  11. simonium

simonium Member

Thats nice!
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I wonder what thought process led him to arrange it that way. "Rearrange the national anthem" is really a very simple assignment, and I daresay there are tens of thousands of musicians all over who fancy that they would have done a job of it that would have pleased more people (I know I do, and I bet a lot of you do too). My guess is that he's tried to be a bit too clever - breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules, without devoting sufficient thought to the reason those rules exist in the first place. We could get a bit highflown, and see a more general problem with academic music illustrated in this - the throwing out of the past without thinking much about what is to replace it. But maybe that's reading a bit much into it. Maybe he just had so many anthems to arrange that he ran out of time to polish!
  13. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Possibly, but he did rearrange it for the closing ceremony in Bejing I think, don't know if it's the same one. He probably just got abit bored :p

and GJG, I think Ben meant how would music move forward and new music and harmonies be created?
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

At least then it would have been a totally different approach - this is just a "classical" style rehashing
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Pity then the Gamesmakers who welcomed the respective teams to the Olympic Village and thus heard their anthems played...
  16. If your going to change it, you might as well make a BIG change, instead of this feeble illiterate effort. Too bad Bill Evans isnt alive, now that would have been an arrangement worth listening to.
  17. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Member

Instead of the traditional drum roll, maybe a 14 bar drum solo as an intro, then instead of the "tah tah tah dah" a 4 bar rift a la Maynard Ferguson ? Im sure Lizzie would love it !
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  18. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

True enough :D

In fairness, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's good....

Perhaps I'm just getting caught up in the olympic spirit (did you know that, until a couple of days ago, Cornwall had won more golds than Australia?! :D), and therefore have grown to 'like' it because of what it represents. Or something.
  19. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Hey Yorkshire are about 11th in the medals table :p
  20. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Poor old Oz. A few days ago the Sydney Telegraph was reduced to combining Australia's and New Zealand's winnings in the medals table under the name 'Aus Zealand' to make things look a bit more respectable. No gloating, now.