Olympic Fanfare (arr.Wyss)/Comedians Gallop (arr. Snell)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetcheese, Jan 15, 2007.

1. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me track down two arrangements I've played/conducted in the past - Thomas Wyss' arrangement of "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" and Howard Snell's arrangement of "Comedians Gallop". I've had a look for them at Just Music, but I've a feeling neither are published!

Does anyone out there have them or were these exclusively owned by the bands I did them with in the past?

Help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Tom Wyss Olympic Fanfare was in manuscript form last time I saw it.
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

As was Mr Snell's Comedian's Galop...

You could try PM-ing "Wilky" as Mark may know whether it's ever escaped into the published domain (although I'm sure the Fodens 'copies' are the ones I played off).
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Kirklees ( www.kirkleesmusic.co.uk) publish the Rakeway ( Howard Snell collection ) am sure the arrangement of Comedian's Gallop is on there ( the Denis Wright Arrangement is a class version too) , also Darrol Barry's version of the complete olympic fanfare ( studio ) if I remember is a great arrangement.
  5. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Thanks - I think I remember both pieces were definately in manuscript form last time I saw them...

I'm familiar with the Wright arrangement of Comedians Gallop already and I do like it, although I recall the Snell arrangement has some detail from the original which is missing from the Wright.

I've got a copy of Darrol Barry's "Olympic fanfare and Theme" which I personally think is an excellent arrangement, but I'm considering it for a contest and, unfortunately with timings, it would be a bit too long! The Wyss one is far shorter as the central section is cut. If push comes to shove I could always find a cut, but that's something I'm not too keen on doing - unintended cuts often never sound convincing!

Thanks for all your help - I'll check Kirklees Music!