Oliver Postgate - RIP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nanny Ogg, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

I heard the very sad news this morning that Oliver Postgate creator of Bagpuss, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine and the clangers; sadly passed away at the age of 83.

I'd just like to say thanks Oliver for those lovely childhood memories you created for me and may you rest in peace:cry::cry:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    news
    Oliver Postgate
    creator
    Ivor the Engine
    childhood memories
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Not forgetting The Pogles - apparently, when running around the local park, I would only come back to the baby sitter if she called out "Tog!".

If you don't understand, you are young.

4. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Awww no!!! How sad, what a wonderful person he must have been to have had so much child-like imagination....a great loss.

(I grew up with Ivor the Engine - does that make me old?)

5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

No!!!! Growing up like Will with Pogles Wood and the Clangers does! I have to confess I am of the same era as Will!

Indeed it is a sad day, and I believe we all can relate at times to that lovely old saggy cloth cat and all have an Emily to love us very much.

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I am devastated.
    I was entranced by the Noggin the Nog stories related in Olivers superbly unique voice and style.

After a little "Tiff" I once drove Mrs W to the brink of insanity by only responding to her comments and observations with "Clanger" whistles.
    I kept this up for several hours until a suitable truce was agreed.
    It was a cruel, but satisfactory revenge for my harsh treatment at her hands !!

- Wilkie

7. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

It was revealed on Radio 4 this morning that the Clangers was scripted and there was Clanger naughty words.

Yes, yes, yes to the re-runs, his work was timeless

8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

That's sad news.
    I loved Bagpuss. Probably my all time favourite pre-school TV show.

9. Will the Sec

OK, who's got the BB arrangement of Ivor the Engine? If so, please play it at your Christmas concert!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I remember The Clangers and that Soup Dragon ... Crazy stuff! I wonder how many brass players were created after watching the series?

[​IMG]

11. Will the Sec

My eldest sister would pee gerself laughing when Tiny Clanger would end its phrases with a wolf whistle. It was years before I understood why....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    news
    Oliver Postgate
    creator
    Ivor the Engine
    childhood memories
  13. Will the Sec

My eldest sister would pee gerself laughing when Tiny Clanger would end its phrases with a wolf whistle. It was years before I understood why....

http://www.nogginthenog.co.uk/welcome.htm A nice site.

14. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Ah so sad. I can't choose my favourite Oliver Postgate series-I loved them all. I remember my mum singing "Mouse, mouse, come out of your house, and I'll give you a piece of bacon..." to my then toddler brother. (name the series...):)

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

16. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Favourite has got to be Bagpuss. Made creepy after watching the Wicker Man, and mob burning Edward Woodward to the same tune that the mice on the mouse organ sang. But still we all know that Emily loved him.

I cried buckets when I read Seeing Things..A unique genius

17. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I remember when I first got to college and joined the band there , first time I had played non-SA music.
    We played a piece ( can't remember what it was called ) that featured the old english song " Summer is a cumen in ", as I subsequently discovered it was called ( as heard in The Wicker Man , see above ! ).

Much amusement was caused ( and embarrasment to me ) when I asked whether it was an arrangement of "We will mend it , we will fix it..." as featured by the mice in Bagpuss !!

Loved Ivor the Engine as well , when he joined in the singing at the end of most episodes !!

18. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Terrible shame, I just remember watching the clangers but I'm not as old as you lot!!

I was nick named the soup dragon by a ex collegue at work!! (Only because I was always seen with a cup/bowl of soup!!)

19. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Recently discovered that somebody has uploaded all the Ivor The Engine episodes onto You Tube. I haven't seen it since I was a tot and now my son loves it too! So many of us grew up with Ivor, Noggin, The Clangers etc. Seems a shame that the BBC can't come up with anything half as good now.

My son has now christened his toy dragon Idris!

20. Bungle

Bungle Member

Seems BBC prefer to produce something with export potential. I liked all the oliver Postgate progs. Looking back at Nogin the Nog it was very dark, maybe it was the scary factor that attracted us?

21. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

It's his voice that I love - takes you right back to your childhood! :)

Pops
    xx

22. Will the Sec

Two voices I would take onto a desert island with me for comfort - Oliver Postgate and Kelsey Grammer.