Oldest Tuba Player !

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Highams, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Highams

Highams Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tuba
    anyone
    guy
    Wirral
    CB
  3. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

don't know him, but i'm pleased i'm not the only one who can't zpell !

Quote "Jack has been playing a musical instrument since 1919 when as a soprano coronet"

He he !!

:D

FG

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's always dangerous to start claimig to be "the world's oldest . . . " etc when lots of people may not know about the listings.

When we visited Yeovil Corps with our Songster Brigade a few years ago they had a BBb player who was certinly in his 90's, and had only just stopped playing the instrument outside, restricting himself now just to indoor events!

I don't know whether he is still playing, but I'm sure there are others around as well.

5. MattB

MattB Member

We had a Eb Bassist who was well into his 80's when I joined the band.

His reason for retiring?

"I could cope when me eyes went, but now me legs 'ave gone I can't carry the bugger"!!!

Classic!!!

6. asteria

asteria Member

Well that was written in 1999 and he was born in 1903, so he must be over 100 by now! Wonder if he's still going?!

7. Chippy_Cornet

Chippy_Cornet Member

The gentleman you refer to was called Charlie Newton, I had the privilege of sitting next to him when i first joined the Salvation Army band at Yeovil as a teenager. He was playing cornet at the time, but volunteered to move onto Bass when there was a need to move people round. He was still carolling (2.5 hours at a time) well into his late eighties, and got most irrate if it was suggested he should have a chair. Charlie was a real gentleman, and had more energy than many 60 years younger than him. He sadly passed away a couple of years ago.