Old Vinyl Lp's To Cd - Help !!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Jan 8, 2005.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I have quite a few old LP's of Man CWS and Imps etc that I would like to transfer to CD.
    I have a CD Writer, Record Deck, Stereo etc.
    I can obviously transfer the LP's to audio Cassette, (obselete ) but how can I input the music to the PC so that I can burn it onto CD, do I need to buy some more hardware
    I would be very grateful for any advice from any of you experts out there !!!
    (You can email me on iancwilx@ntlworld.com)
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Depends on your hardware. If the turntable is a seperates unit then it probably has two RCA out jacks. I assume you have a decent quality sound card in the PC, if so then this will have either a MIC IN socket, a LINE IN socket, or both. Assuming all the above is present and correct then you simply need to buy a "Y-splitter" cable to provide two RCA to 2.5mm stereo jack plug. For best results and mindful of the input levels you should connect the turntable outs to the MIC IN socket; I'm not 100 percent on this but someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

On the PC you need a good quality sound recorder but most sound cards do come with one. The old MS sound recorder can do the job but is rather limiting. For best results either record as WAV files or as MP3 of at least 192Kbs quality.

Once you have the sound files on the PC then you can burn them to CD using a product like Nero or Roxio which will do the necessary conversion for you.

One other thing - be mindful of the copyright issues!!!!
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'd look for a turntable with a USB2 connection. There are several on the market.

You might also consider buying a 200Gb additional hard drive, and put the tracks onto there.

Then you can rip them to MP3 (again, many tools available, probably one wiht the programme accompanying your sound card) and make different CDs in seconds.

Of course, copyright restrictions must be adhered to.
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

To connect your existing turntable directly to your PC you would need a phono pre-amp to boost the output signal. As Will suggested, the USB interfaced amps are specifically designed for this purpose. Some even have software built in that will reduce the noise and crackle (and maybe even rumble too!).

An alternative method is to initially record the vinyl on to another medium such as Mini-Disc and then connect that to the PC. Record the playback and remember to save each track as a separate item. Sound editors such as Soundforge, Wavelab or CoolEdit Pro can be used to restore or enhance the soundfile. Or use Nero's tools to assist before burning.
  6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Do not connect the output of the turntable directly to a pc mic input.

The turntable needs to have RIAA equalistaion, normally inbuilt into amplifiers or turntable preamps.

The pc mic input tends to be very sensitive, and you will have little fine control over input levels; additionally any turntable rumble will be amplified disproportionally.

Like Brassneck, I record onto minidisc via a conventional amplifier, then use CoolEditPro to control the input to the pc. This can be time consuming, but the end result is worthwhile.

PS CoolEditPro by Syntrillium was bought out by Adobe a year or so ago, and is now marketted under another name. Shame, because Adobe do not seem to want to support the original software.
  7. Di

Di Active Member

8. impycornet

impycornet Member

There is a shop in Halifax that will do this for you - and not too expensive. Had an old boxed set of my dad's transferred.

Let me know if you want me to find the name of it.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

If your record deck normally goes into the phono sockets of an amplifier then (as has been previously mentioned) you'll need a pre-amp to boost the output. Alternativley if you have an amp put the record deck into the amp as normal and then take the the Tape OUT into the PC. There are a number of freeware apps to copy from Vinyl (I found one called RIPVinyl which stores the tracks once the "break" between piece is hit).

Have a look in the downloads section of www.cnet.com
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

A great big "Thank you" to all who have responded.
    You have been the "Ultimate" help !!
    I'm now on track with plenty of options.
    - Ian Wilkinson (Kippax Band)
  14. Statto

Statto Member

15. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

of course, as will has pointed out, copyright is an important consideration. As far as we know, it's perfectly ok to copy vinyl to cd if you own the original LP. Otherwise though, be aware of copyright restrictions.

I understand that ian has opened this topic with regard to his own LPs!

If is doubt, check the tMP Copyright FAQ

tMP in no way supports unlawful copying of music, electronically or otherwise.

Kepps - for the tMP team
  16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You just had to go and spoil it there, Kepps. I was about to set up a new business ripping off copies of old vinyl records and selling them on ebay. Damn! :-D
  17. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

The place is in Sowerby Bridge and it is called Mr Vinyl on Wharf Street.
    They do indeed do transfers from records to CD.