Old instrument with musty smell

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Julie C, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Julie C

Julie C New Member

I wonder if anyone can help. I have been given an old Mellophone that hasn't been played for quite some time. All the slides and valves work fine and it would be great... if it didn't smell so bad. I think the inside must be musty as it probably wasn't dried out before being packed away but whatever it is it is horrid and when I play it I can taste it. I have rinsed it out with warm water, left it to air dry with all the slides removed but it hasn't helped at all.

Has anyone any suggestions please? putting the clear dettol surface cleaner through it has been suggested but I am not sure....

Many thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    slides
    Old instrument
    musty smell
    dry
    clear dettol surface
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

A long long soak in water with bio washing powder in it. Bi-carb of soda / baking soda might help too

4. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

I flush my cornet with Milton sterilizing fluid - has to be quick to avoid attack on metal but it does a good job of killing the winter germs. I prepare a large jug of sterilizer mix and first flush through with warm soapy water followed by a jug of sterilizer then repeat flush with soapy water.

5. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Ordinary washing up liquid of a more reputable brand would probably be enough, and less likely to cause internal corrosion or removal of lacquer as some sterilizers might. A mix at slightly stronger than would be used for the dishes, and left to soak for an hour before a good flush out with clean warm water.
    Works for me to remove that nasty smell after soldering a broken joint.

6. nethers

nethers Active Member

Biological wahing liquid (for clothes), on a brush, is used by may professional instrument repairers to flush out the inside of an instrunent. Safe on metal and laquer and removes anything biological, leaving a nice summer fresh (or lemon fresh, or whatever flavour you like) aroma. Good rinse with water and dry after if you don't want to be blowing bubbles.

7. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Wossa mellophone :confused:

8. Hollso

Hollso Member

9. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Ta muchly :) Now why didn't I think of doing that? Must be coz you don't hit it :biggrin:

10. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

A smellophone?

BTW I too am old with a musty smell. Nothing wrong with that.

Stinky Bob

11. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

perhaps you should wash in Milton?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    slides
    Old instrument
    musty smell
    dry
    clear dettol surface