Old Hundred

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Fedman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Fedman

Fedman Member

Is the Vaughan Williams arrangement of All People That on Earth Do Dwell (Old Hundred) transcribed for Band? If so can anybody tell me who by and who are the publishers?
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Isn't it in the 100 Hymns - Ray Steadman-Alan arrangement ?
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I think this is it.
  4. Fedman

Fedman Member

Thanks Alex. It looks as if that is what I am looking for, i.e. with the full introductuion.
  5. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think Ray Steadman - Allen has done an arrangement;);)

Sorry, couldn't resist!
  7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Pedant hat on: The Old Hundretdth wasn't written by Vaugh Williams but he did do an arrangement. The link Accidental has posted is a band version of that. The red hymn book is not the Vaughn Williams arrangment and is missing the intro.

I have played a transcription of the VW version done by Ken Dennison.
  8. Fedman

Fedman Member

Thanks everyone.

I have found what I was looking for. The VW transciption arranged for Brass Band by Derek Broadbent fits the bill - intro and finale.:)
  9. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Hi all,

I need to clear this up :

Andywooler : If you are directing the term "pedant" towards myself which you must be as you have attached my original post & replied with your own, well then let me apoligize to you for been "a person who is overly concerned with formalism and precision, or making a show of my learning".

The Usage of this term being referred to as a pedant, or pedantic, is generally considered insulting, and that is what I find. I sincerly did not reply to help one (Fedman) out and to be called this term.

I supplied the links for Fedman to make his own choice,.... it ain't my issue if the links are written incorrectly or if you find them disatisfying.

I never said nor stated the hymn was written bt R.V. Williams the link to "just music" is diplaying that it is arranged by this gentleman with it been composed bt D. Broadbent.

You should leave out the sarcasm, you'll be a better person.

I think a "refresher " on the "Rules Goverening Posts set by "The Musicman" would do you no harm especially point no. 2 content parts E & G.

I'm glad you got what you were searching for.

Repectfully Yours.
    Gareth McDonnell (garsop_2000)
  10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Whoa - steady on Garsop. I think you need to read that post again.
    AndyWooler was putting his own pedant hat on - not refering to you at all.
  11. andywooler

Jeez - lighten up - do you not use message boards very often? When someone adds something like that they are talking about themselves not you!

And I am well versed in the board rules thank you.
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Changing the subject slightly, and just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Derek Broadbent arrangement is in the "correct" key, ie. concert G major? IOW, can it be used in conjunction with an organ playing the original R-VW version?

13. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I question why you used Garsop_2000 post in your reply. Gareth was only trying to help out a guy in need. By all means make your point by saying that the original post asked for RVW arrangement but no need to single out a part of someones post that is quite frankly irrelevant to your reply.
  14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

It seems to me that Andy came up with a little extra trivia on the subject of Old Hundreth (and in doing so put his own pedant/boc hat on) and then had someone jump down his throat somewhat erroneously (as pointed out by BigHorn) and then you reply having another go at him.

Lots of crossed wires and/or hyper sensitive people on this thread. It reminds me why I stopped posting for a while.

Everybody please chill out.

15. andywooler

This is quite simple - that was the post which stated the item was in the red hymn book - it isn't. As pointed out now by 2 other people, the pedant hat I put on was my own .
  16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yeah; and leave me out of it, as well ... ;) :redface: