Oklahoma! - Alan Catherall arrangement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Alec Gallagher, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Hi

Can anyone tell me who publishes Alan Catherall's arrangement of Oklahoma! It doesn't seem to appear in any publisher's website I can find. Thanks.
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I remember playing it on much-photocopied manuscript in the late 90s. Is it actually published?
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Brackley have a hand written version, never seen a printed copy
  4. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

great arrangement - but only ever played manuscript version although im sure ive seen a printed version (although not sure if it was published - maybe someone put handwritte parts into Sibelius or something)
  5. John_D

John_D Member

Only played this from (photocopied) hand written parts - and that was in the late 80s if I remember correctly.
  6. Thanks all, it's as I suspected!
  7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Since I used to own a music store before a car accident about killed (and did bankrupt me) I still have connections. I looked. Hard to believe that an arrangement that good done by someone that well known is not published. I guess you could go to one of the bands or even Alan himself and ask for a favor. Mostly, if you could find Alan, ask him to publish it or give you permission to play it.

I still have my VERY, VERY small music publishing company that I have been thinking about dusting off (Bridges and Lights Music). I would publish it in a heartbeat, and my guess is, so would every large company around. It is a same it is not published.
  8. Catherine81

Catherine81 New Member

I've got a version of "Selections from Oklahoma", but I think its arranged by Denis Wright.
  9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Just a polite reminder to all that both composer and arranger are subject to usual copyright laws!
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

This is not really all that hard to do. There are companies and agents that will help a band and a composer with copyright permissions. I have done it for band pieces, marching band, drum corps, and a brass quintet piece. They were all easy as the company I hired did the work

The tough story:

I had a kind of obscure church book I used to make into a play and used public domain hymns for the music and the congregation was invited to join on some of them. Others hymns I completely changed the words. Anyway, I wrote the author, he referred me to the publishing company, they referred me a company that handles their copyrights. It took about 3+ months and about 8 letters.

All in All, I was expected to pay the going rate of buying a church musical for kids -- about $250 to $350. They finally sent me permission for FREE! All I had to do was have at least one book on display for the congregation to look at and write an acknowledgement of thanks in the Bulletin/Program to the company and author (which any would do anyway).

I went to Barnes and Noble (a big book chain store in the US -- see www.bn.com). They let me order 20 books and if I did not sell them, I could return them. I think I sold 15 and returned 3. I kept 2 incase someone later wanted one. I sold both of them the next Sunday and could have sold at least 10 more. I those who wanted a copy when I had run out to BN.com.

There are at least 3 companies (in the US) that for a small fee will secure you copyright for you. I am sure a company in the UK or the EU will do the same. You should be able to find them with a good internet search.
  11. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Hi Alec, sorry, but I don't know who publishes Alan Catherall's arrangement of Oklahoma!.
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It depends very much what kind of organisation holds the copyright. B. Schott's standard terms and conditions for granting a right to arrange are that once completed, you give them all copies of what you've done, retaining none for yourself, and they retain the right to exploit it later [read: leave for dead on a dusty file server somewhere]. For this, you pay them money. Never ever even bother trying to deal with B. Schott unless you have some major music publishing clout behind you.

Optimism is great, and sometimes you'll luck out. Sometimes though the copyright holder's response will leave a bad taste in your mouth, as with B. Schott.
  13. JustinM

JustinM New Member

Pretty much every interaction I've had with any music publisher sounds nearly as bad. The best is when you want to do an arrangement for (a zero-budget) brass quintet of something under copyright, and they ask for several hundred dollars and only want to let you use it for a year in pre-specified performances. To say that I walked away from that utterly unimpressed is an understatement. The experience has pretty much made me give up what little remaining hope I had at getting anything published, ever. It's clear to me that the music publishing industry is now circling the wagons trying to protect what is ultimately an outmoded business model.

Unfortunately, I have all the marketing ability of ...well, anyone you've never heard of, so self publishing is not a realistic option.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

For a piece which doesn't seem to have been published, it's been recorded an awful lot of times! I would suggest contacting the arranger himself but he doesn't seem to have a web presence. I think he has a connection with the Reg Vardy band though, so that might be a way to find him.
  15. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I have had more of a positive response from composers and copyright holders. They just don't want to lose control of the piece or lose control of any profits. Keep that in mind. Most want to make money and keep control of the copyright. You approach it with that attitude -- it seems to be easier for everyone.