Ok so not being a cornet player......

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by scotchgirl, Nov 5, 2008.

1. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

My son has shown an interest towards playing a brass instrument and wants to learn the cornet.

I have asked around a few bands in the area to see if they have a spare cornet lying around, but no joy, and his school only start teaching brass at age 10 (he's 6).

So - what student models are any good/not too expensive/are not gonna fall apart after 3 days of 6 year old abuse???

Any ideas?

I am happy to look on ebay too, but am not sure what I'm looking for lol!
  2. alks

alks Member

4bars rest did a student cornet review a few years back here's the link,

Well, there are a whole bunch of student models, ive only ever played the yamaha,

Yamaha YCR2330 (i think these are good student instruments. but possible a bit expensive at £349 new)

Theres also instrumnets like the virtuosi brand etc, but i've never played one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

either really - I don't really have a price in mind either, not having a clue about it lol! When I learned I was taught on a really crappy old cornet (which I shared with another girl - I had it one week, she had it the next), which was held together with elastoplast, and as soon as I got any good (not THAT good lol!) I was moved onto horn, then baritone, then euph, then back to bari....

I just want to get him one that'll do the job, but be decent enough that it won't put him off playing lol! He asked for a trumpet the other day, but I soon put him off that idea lol! - has to be a brass band instrument lol! (only joking btw - don't want to offend trumpet players out there lol!)

I've heard good things about the yamaha too....might have to have a look on ebay for that one eh?
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

John Packers do their own range of student instruments. They play far better than the price would suggest and are definitely worth a look. http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/shop-31/ even the £99 one plays well. And no I don't work for them, or get commission. ;)
  5. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

I've got a slightly mis-shapen Jupiter student cornet you can have, it blows fine and valves are ok.
    I'm sure it could be sorted easily by someone with the right expertise, just needs straightening in a couple of places, let me know at band friday if you want it.
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I might just do that Rob! I asked Shaun because I thought there was a spare one lying around somewhere, I was mistaken lol!

Will talk to you on Friday! :)
  7. Bones

Bones Member

Sawn Pagington at Virtuosi have a get set of student range stuff try him.

First brass in Northamptonshire
  8. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

I got mine from John Packer, it's not great, but it was around £100 and came in a brilliant case. It's also fairly durable!
  9. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Hi Nicky,

I have a blue cornet for sale that I bought last month from Virtuosi. I bought it for Aaron and it's in pristine condition, he's moved on to bigger and better things now, he's playing the euphonium!! At 7yrs old, he's playing on a 4 valve Sovereign round stamp euph!! Not bad eh?

Drop me a pm if you want to buy the cornet, I'll throw in a DW mouthpiece as well.

10. skweeky

skweeky Member

you could always make one with a bit of plastic tubing and a couple of finger holes. (these can be made with a screwdriver or a drill if the plastic is a bit tough!) using a normal cornet mouthpiece in the end of the tubing would be fine!
  11. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Wow! He must have inherited big tuba player lungs lol!

I'll pm you when I've spoken to hubby about the cornet if that's ok? Thanks a lot for letting me know about it though - Cal is really up for learning, and has even asked when he can start coming to our band rehearsals lol!

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What do tMpers think about teaching kids on the '70s frosted style Imperial cornets? Medium bore, easy to blow and probably quite cheap to buy second hand.
  13. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

i was told quite a while ago that you shouldn't learn before you were 8 (or there abouts) as your mouth / teeth were still too underdeveloped.
    probably quite wrong, but thought it was worth a mention.
  14. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I actually took along a cornet mouthpiece to our last dentist visit (early last month) and asked for her opinion, which was 'as long as they are not playing 23 hours a day, its hard to see that it would make much difference, especially since his teeth will probably drop out within the next year or so'....

She did advise stopping whilst his front teeth regrow back in though - but that would only be a month or so....and I doubt he'd want to play then anyway lol!
  15. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Take a look on the Normans website which im sure your familiar with you being a fellow brass bander. ;)
    Has some good prices on it if you look at it at good times.
  16. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I think there okay to learn on....up to a point. Although it doesnt stop you from getting better i don't think it lets you 'shine' if thats the right word to use.Using better instrument would make you stand out, not technically but with tone and musicality.
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Remember we are talking about teaching a 6 year old kid. The Imperial is compact and I cannot remember anyone having issues about it's tuning or playability. I only played one for a short time when I played cornet (... the triggered Besson International was my main weapon!).
  18. Mad BLC

Mad BLC New Member

Mine learnt at ages 6 and 5. (on a then very nice sovereign globe cornet)The younger ones tutor did remark he had never taught any one without front teeth when they fell out. Fortunately by that time had reached a sufficient level of competence to over the minor obstacle. Simply adapted the teaching method to material and exercises that were not overly stressful on the embouchure without teeth to support the mouthpeice. The downside I had was when one needed a brace for straightening overcrowding teeth (nowt to do with playing early I might add) the child refused. Cos it meant not being able to play seriously for 18 months upwards and that was simply not an option as far as they were concerned.
  19. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

same for me - I should have had braces when I was 12/13 but there was no way I was going to hinder my playing for the sake of having perfect teeth (my teeth have turned out better than they predicted anyway so I'm not too fussed).

I have a Holton medium bore cornet for sale at £250 which served me faithfully for 3 years - I changed it for a Xeno when I finally secured the funds to do it. The instrument plays well, has a good case. The only problem with it is the lacquer isn't in good shape on the grip, but that doesn't affect the playing and like I say it served me perfectly until I needed what is deemed a 'professional' instrument

PM me if you would like more details
  20. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I play on a Jupiter cornet and I love it. I used to play on a Besson Sovereign and I genuinely prefer my Jupiter!