Ohh I Luuuv de cake!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JANUARYMAN, Apr 8, 2005.

Many moons ago I used to play in Wilsden Band (Bingley, Bradford - along with 2nd man down.) The band were not registered back then and rehearsed on a Sunday morning (ouch!!) However, at half time (tea break at approx 10.30am) two lovely old ladies used to turn up every week and serve tea or coffee along with the best freshly home made cakes you could imagine!

I'm lucky if I get a bit of valve oil between bars rest these days, but does anybody out there still get a tea break in rehearsals?

Better still, does any band have a resident cake baker like Wilsden Band?

Hepworth - No tea or cake break..........Booooooooo!
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I sat in with the Hemel Hempstead band for a rehearsal once and they had a tea break similar to the one your are describing.

WGC rehearses in a social club, so we take a brief brake, but band members don't usually drink tea ;)
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Aw Dave, memories, memories...that lemon sponge cake that they turned up with was fantastic wasn't it?!?!?

Those were the days when to elderly ladies just turned up of their own volition to keep us lot in tea, biscuits and cake!!

The only refreshment we get at Emley is in the Green Dragon when we've finished.
  4. Heppy

Heppy Member

Tea and cakes? All you get at Hepworth is your coat and a taxi.

TAXI for the slightly vain, homosexual looking man who cant play his part!

Ha ha..........
  5. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

back when i used to play with the rogerstone band we had tea breaks. when the tea was ready chief tea make would shout and rehearsal would stop for a while.
    they were good days!!
  6. persins

persins Member

They still have a tea break at Tadley Concert Brass! I haven't played for them regularly for years but I normally go back there whenever Woodfalls have a night off. It seems really strange to have a break in the middle!!

When I was with Torbay, we used to have a break too. Never had home baked cakes though! I'm starting to feel deprived!!
  7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

When I played for Rooke band in Gibraltar we used to have a 30min break where they would get the beer fridge open!

Oh how I used to love the second half of those practices, it almost made the fact that there were woodwind instruments there bearable!
  8. persins

persins Member

Woodwind!!! No matter how much beer there was, that would still annoy me!!

Although, I did find a good use for some of the Flute Players in Germany when I went on tour!!
  9. postie

postie Member

We at Bestwood still have tea break around 9 0'clock . We normally have Tea, Coffee, Biscuits and of course the occassional cakes!!!
  10. 2nd man down

11. postie

postie Member

Not jealous are we by any chance!!!
  12. 2nd man down

Only a lot. :mad:

Oh how i miss that lemon sponge cake!!
  13. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Excuse me???? I was there too!!!! Most offended :frown::frown::frown: ;)

Those cakes were lovely tho - sadly both cake ladies are no more and all Wilsden get these days are biccies!

Rach x
  14. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Murton get a break and we have our own resident cake maker in the form of me. I do actually run my own business making and decorating cakes. I made tmp's 1st birthday cake and Murton Bands 120th birthday cake. If you want to taste my next offering just sign up for tmp whit friday band as Music Man has already asked me to make a cake and bring it along.
  15. 2nd man down

So....if you're our baker...and Ian Perks is our butcher...who is our candle stick maker???? Any takers????
  16. ju33les

ju33les Member

Cake? Cups of tea???

We just get a break long enough to lick our lips and breathe in:D
  17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Nellie and Dot....

At Point of Ayr there used to be two gems in Nellie and Dot..who on the stroke of Half way would have 30 cuppas lined up for us and a box of biscuits...best cuppa in Wales.
  18. 2nd man down

When you say "are no more"...is that in a mortal sense or do they just not come any more? The world is a blander tasting place without that lemon sponge cake. :(
  19. samandy

samandy Member

Elland Band

Hi there

We at Elland Band still have a T Break every Wednesday, where usually our treasurer makes a brew! We also have a tuck shop where you can purchase valve oil, but more importantly cost price chocolate bars to et you through the second half of the rehearsals!

We also have a microwave handy in case anyone travelling straight from workor college wants to have a quick snack!

One of the many ways in which we make our members feel right at home!
  20. postie

postie Member

Well today one of our players is celebrating his 75th birthday. To celebrate his wife is bringing a birthday cake to band tomorrow. Oh the joys of having wonderful refreshments at breaktime!!!!