Oh percussionists, great fountains of knowledge, please help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Di, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Is there such a thing as a percussionist "gig bag". I went all this big search for a christmas pressy, couldn't find one, gave up and now its birthday time.

Ideally, something like a briefcase that when you open it there's slots to drop sticks in (like the pen bit in the back of a briefcase), but then enough room for all the other "odds and sods" like tambourine, triangle, marracas (sp) etc?

Anyone have any ideas please?

2. Bassment Jinx

Bassment Jinx Member

Never seen that sentence ever before! :lol:

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I was kinda thinking.... 'errrrmmmmm....' :lol:

In answer to this question though...
    There are percussionists with these case type jobs in which sticks and beaters are kept along with the room to put in music, and on rare occassions little small percussion items... usually just a triangle!...
    I'm not one of them...
    I just use 2 stick bags (cos I have so many) and a sports bag for all the hand percussion I have... the cases would have to be pretty big to fit in all I use...

A pilot case would be smart for all sticks and beaters... and depending on the size of the case and how many sticks your friend/relative has I'm sure you could get in a tambourine, mastanets and ickle bits of perc in it too...
    Hope this helps :)

4. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

With the amount of percussion instruments used nowadays, I would have thought a gig van would be more useful than a gig bag :!:

5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

(Edit: quote fixed, PB, Mod)

But I am! :) :p
    I depends what they need, if its just sticks they have, then a sticks bag would be best. Sticks and a few little bits, a case would probably do. Lots of sticks and lots of bits, then whatever!
    I've got two cases, one for (mainly) sticks, with music, and things like a triagle, a tambourine etc, and another one for more bits, which does the job.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

...which would of course be loaded, driven and unloaded by a non-percussionist. :wink:

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I use a Larg stick bag, and a very large hold-all. I've got a big set of Latin percussion, tambourine's, triangle's etc. etc. I bought a large bag and some hard wearing material, and my Mum made me some individual little bags to put everything in so it's all nicely divided up, She's a love!

8. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Yes...but we percussionists do help too. :)

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

do we?

oh! yea, of course we do!

;-)

10. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks all, sounds like just a stick bag and a cool sports bag/back pack job. The band usually has a trailor to cart the "big" stuff like the percussion and basses around in, so its just the "personal" bits and bobs needed. Maybe one day i'll design and patent something. :lol: :wink: but just ain't got the time right now. :(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    knowledge
    fountains
    search
    something
    pressy
  12. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Pierre Cardin do a really suitable bag. Although it's a business portfolio case, it comes with enough capacity to take a moderate amount of jingles, a pad of music, and stix.
    Can't for the life of me remember where I bought it though.
    Probably Index/Argos/etc.

13. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Whilst you're at it Di, can you patent a stick-bag that'll take music without having to fold it to A9?