"Oh, My Beloved Papa"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andyh, May 9, 2008.

1. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

We've been asked if we can play "Oh, My Beloved Papa". Now, I've never heard of
    this and I thought they were referring to "Oh, My Beloved Father", which we do have.

However I'm assured that the former is the right title, and that it's a very old
    arrangement. We definitely don't have it in our library.

Does anyone know where we could get this piece from?

Andy

2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Under the original Italian title here

3. Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Now I'm confused. Because this is the piece I thought the original requester was asking
    for but was told I was wrong. I'm playing the CD in question as I type this. Are they both one and the same piece?

If it's the McCann interpretation, I can't see why we wouldn't attempt it, sounds OK
    to me. Why would it be a piece you'd "never play with a brass band"?

Andy

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Could it be "Oh my Papa" (or is it called "Oh Mein Papa"?), if it's the one I'm vaguely thinking of it's very old and march sized.

Memory may be playing me tricks, though it may be in our training band library somwhere.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A question ... are you thinking about the tune trumpet player Eddie Calvert topped the charts with in 1954? If so, it was written by Paul Burkhard. If so, there are a few arrangements out there, e.g., Ray Woodfield, Edrich Siebert, John Golland etc.

There is a sample of the Golland arrangement on the Obrasso site here.

7. andyp

andyp Active Member

That must be it, good old Edrich Siebert, what would we do without him......

That sound like it Andyh?

8. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Yes, I think we've hit the jackpot here. It's not the piece I was thinking of, but the
    person who asked did say it was a big hit for a trumpet player but couldn't recall
    who...

Thanks!
    Andy