Oh brilliant idea!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Jun 16, 2006.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

So japan are being given control of the International Whaling commission because they've convinced loads of little land locked countries to support them.

Isn't that like giving the keys of the hen hut to the fox?

I'm sorry, but shouldn't the anti whaling countries have seen this coming and done something about it?
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yes,... yes and most certainly yes. This is disgraceful stuff Crawf, and should simply never have been permitted by the international community.
  3. Eeeerm, anyone want to educate me on this one? :tongue:
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. "The story you requested to read requires you to be a member" :(
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yeah, Japanese culture relies heavily on whaling. I mean, think of the things they produce now. Electronics, motor vehicles, lady-boys...
    Maybe we should bring back bear-baiting and wolf-hunting as a formerly large part of English culture?
    I can't think of very many reasons to kill whales, what have they got that we need? We don't need the oil for lamps any more (except Dave who needs it on Arran to power his new broadband), I think perfumes have moved on a bit from ambergris, and I can't think of anything I'd be less happy to eat. (Actually I can think of many things, but you get my drift.)
  9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

To be fair, the Japanese are only doing now what the rest of the world did in the first place - lots of countries with no specific interest either way in the whaling issue were lobbied very hard by the anti-whaling countries and NGOs in the 70s resulting in the current moratorium.

Was nice to see though that even with their newfound allies they still couldn't force the vote.
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well it looks like japan won their initial vote to have the ban on whaling lifted.

It's a disgrace that they didn't see this coming sooner.