Ogg is devastated

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nanny Ogg, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Its been announced that Hollywood is going to do a remake of her favourite film The Wicker Man. I know it will be awful. They'll change the ending and they are going to set it in Maine, USA.

The film is a cult classic and should be left alone. :frown:
  2. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

My favourite too, and should be left alone, specially as the Americans didn't want it in the fist place!!!!!!
    (PS Ogg, have you read the book "Inside the Wicker Man"? Mr Fruity got it for me for Christmas two years ago- excellent reading!!!)
  3. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Not read Inside the Wicker Man. The Golden Bough is a great book, more reference though. Did you know that as a result of the film there is a Wicker Man Festival each year now.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'm sure Britt Eckland is past her best nowadays...
  5. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Its sad that I know this but the voice wasn't Britt's in the original and for the naked scenes they used as body double. Britt complained later that girl they used had too big a bum:rolleyes:
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Why do they have to do that to old classics. Still look on the bright side, it will bring the Wicker man film back into the public and hopefully a new generation of people will see one of the best british horror films made
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Quite right. The powers that be in Hollywood remade 'The Italian Job' and it was awful, but it did prompt the re-release of the proper film. One thing I find rather distasteful about the Wicker Man, though is the animal cruelty during the making of the final scene (this was confirmed as true in a later documentary). I am sure it could have been done in another way.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Films like this are left well alone once they have been done with
    Christopher Lee in it one of the best actors and will be hard to match up to who ever takes the part he played.
  9. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Inside the Wicker Man is about the making of the film. Loads of interesting stuff not seen anywhere else. Will have a look for The Golden Bough, sounds v interesting.

I think the voice was Annie Ross, wasn't it?
  10. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

The Golden Bough was actually banned in the 1920s but got a reprieve and is now back in print. TRy and order it from your library.

I hear that Nick Cage will play the Sergeant Howie character. But who will play Lord Summerisle?

Hopefully as people have said the re-make might turn people to the original film.
  11. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

They do horrible stuff like this all the time - you just have to learn to ignore them...
  12. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

I love the original film - easily one of my top 5. I've read the book and am still hoping to get to visit some of the locations at some point - particularly the only remnants of the Wicker Man (or at least one of them - there were a few) - 2 stumps of wood at the back of what is now a caravan park.

I am 99.99% sure that this film will be completely rubbish. I've attached the movie poster but it still looks rubbish.

Lord Summerisle is to be played by - get this - Ellen Burstyn. That's right - it's a Lady Summerisle! She played the mother in The Exorcist as I'm sure all horror movie buffs will know.

I've also read something on the internet about the Nicholas Cage/Segeant Howie character having an allergy to bee stings and being attacked at one point by a swarm of killer bees!

Anyway, nobody's mentioned this yet but I think the biggest difficulty they're going to have is with the music. Paul Gionvanni's score of original and traditional folk music is what really makes the film for me - from the haunting opening song 'Cornrigs' right down to the amateurish brass group blasting through 'Summer is a'comin' in' at the end. And as for that terrifying maypole dance with the Jew's Harp accompaniment (In the woods there grew a tree!)... It's going to be a hard act to follow.

Attached Files:

13. Steve

Steve Active Member

And lets be fair now, Nicholas Cage is atrocious
  14. rutty

rutty Active Member

I thought this was going to be about Open Source musical codecs :(
  15. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

The music will be a hard act to follow. Bagpuss mice on the organ were never the same after I saw the original for the first time. To stay true to the orginal it'll have to be folky. I mean I can live with American folk, but not some cheesy Hollywood score please.

As for the film poster WHERE'S THE WICKER MAN?
  16. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I'm shivering in trepidation - Nicholas Cage (even though I like other things he's done) ruined Captain Corelli's Mandolin for me!!!

BTW - I was just having another look at "Inside the Wicker Man" yesterday, and there was controversy about the original film poster, because Peter Snell et al didn't want to give the ending away! Fascinating!
  17. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

People just to let you know that the Guardian is giving away the original DVD away with next Saturdays paper. So if you've not seen the original - £1.20 is a cheap way of getting hold of it.:tup